Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: MSD vs generator/voltage regulator/resistor from original

Registered Member

Member #:4840

MSD vs generator/voltage regulator/resistor from original

So I am upgrading my 56 bel air from a 245 V8/powerglide trans to a 350 V8 with 700R transmission. I am redoing the wiring with a wiring kit from american autowire. Maybe this question has already been asked and answered. But I am having an HEI distributor put in with the 350. I am thinking about going with MSD ignition. I haven't ever had that so does that mean I can get rid of the generator/voltage regulator and resistor for the coil? Or do I still need those things with the MSD ignition? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for the MSD ignition? Thanks

Member #:4403
    The MSD ignition has nothing to do with the charging system generator voltage regulator.Since you are replacing the wiring harness I would consider replacing the current generator v regulator with something like a 12SI 100amp one wire or 3 wire alternator for a much better charging system.I would also choose to use a small cap HEI distributor for better cap to firewall clearance.Something like a Ready to run MSD distributor or other small cap versions.For a street cruiser you don't really need the additional MSD ignition box just adds more complexity to the system.Just my opinion

Member #:3249
    I agree. I did the same combo you are doing. I have a 350/700R4. I installed an HEI and an American Autowire complete wiring kit. I installed a 100 amp one wire alternator. No MSD, no need. car runs and drives excellently, No charging problems even with AC and other power accessories. Been fine for 32,000 miles.

Registered Member

Member #:4840
    Good information. Thank you both for the help.