Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: swapping original 3 speed manual transmission in 57 Chevy to a Muncie 4 speed transmission

Registered Member

Member #:5268

swapping original 3 speed manual transmission in 57 Chevy to a Muncie 4 speed transmission

Can I swap out the original 3 speed manual transmission in my 57 Chevy to a Muncie 4 speed manual transmission without having to have the driveshaft lengthened or shortened? Also, is the splined shaft the same on both transmissions? In other words, would the transmission swap be a simple "bolt-on" swap? (I'm old and don't need extra work).

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I believe you are good to go unless it s a later Muncie with 26 spline input. The driveshaft my 56 came with when Muncie equipped got shortened and installed in my 67 Camaro after I left the original shaft on the starting line at the old Lawrence Dragstrip about 1979. I believe is was uncut prior to that only the yoke was changed to 27 spline. I believe your current shaft is 17 spline.

Registered Member

Member #:5268
    Thanks for the response. I guess I'll start by removing my driveshaft to confirm how many splines are on the original yoke.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The early T10s from late 50s to early 60s were the only 4 speeds with a 17 spline output all Munchies were 27 and 32 spline.