Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New project

Member #:436
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nice work smooth. I'm curious why you opted for patching the quarters with two pieces instead of just replacing the whole thing. I would think the metalwork involved to get them straight after welding will be huge. It looks to me like you haven't welded the entire seam, and I'm curious to see how that's going to turn out once you weld it all. That's a large, relatively flat area that's hard to keep flat. Replacing a whole quarter isn't that bad.
    Well was just trying to save a dollar and you'r wright the whole quarter's would have been easy'er wish that I had done that now.No I don't have the seam's welded in these pic's.Started welding them up yesterday and as long as I take my time they seam to be doing good.The only problem I'v had so far is they want to draw in but have found that if I keep a even pressure an the back side(I used a long 1x2)with my porter power they stay straight.The wood must take the heat away I won't do it this way again you can bet on that.

Well the truck show'ed up this morning. Damn it's about as bad as the hard top what do you think.Will start another thread on this.
    001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    005.jpg
    006.jpg
    007.jpg
    008.jpg
    I think I'm a gluten for punishment oh well if he has the money I got the time.

Member #:1761
    Smooth 56, On your 55, did you have to take the back seat area braces out of rear area to get the floor to fit up? About how much do you remove to get the verticle part of floor to fit? Thanks any info appreciated. Geo.

Sorry slow been gone hunting for a few day's. No you cut the spot weld's and I took the middle brace out.On hard top's there is an extra piece of sheet metal behind the brace you have to take out to get to the spot weld's that connect the floor pan and the trunk pan. Just make sure you cut all the spot weld's along the bottom of the back seat support you shuldn't have to cut any of the brace or support. thought I had some pic of that in this build thread will try to get some for you when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Smooth 56, On your 55, did you have to take the back seat area braces out of rear area to get the floor to fit up? About how much do you remove to get the verticle part of floor to fit? Thanks any info appreciated. Geo.
    Took a couple of pic's you can see where I have welded every thing back together hope this help's.
    001.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    I know these are not the best in the world but it will give you a sense of what you have to do or what I done. You are going to be sooooo tired of spot weld's,I know I was.lol

Member #:1761
    Smooth56, Ok got it! didn't know most spot welds on "shelf trunk" were verticle. Looks like time well spent and feeling achomplished! Your pics tell a thousand words. If your near Illinois I'd buy ya a couple of beers. Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Smooth56, Ok got it! didn't know most spot welds on "shelf trunk" were verticle. Looks like time well spent and feeling achomplished! Your pics tell a thousand words. If your near Illinois I'd buy ya a couple of beers. Geo.
    Sorry slow been gone hunting again.Glad I could help you out as far as the beer's go I would drink them to lol.

Well it's been alooooooong time since I have updated this thread so I will try.Got the cross flow and fan's in.
    007.jpg
    Fixed both front fender's.This is just one of them they were both the same.
    010.jpg
    008.jpg
    009.jpg
    Smoothed the dash.
    018.jpg
    019.jpg
    put new door bottoms in both side's.
    105.jpg
    And last but not least I finally got to prime the door's and most of the body,it's about time.
    014.jpg
    016.jpg
    017.jpg
    And that my friends is the short story.Will try to keep this updated a little better.
    Last edited by smooth 56; 06-15-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Member #:1647
    If you have any pics of the tail pan area, I would like to see those if possible.

Inside the trunk area or out I think I have both. I modified inside the trunk area so it may not show you what you need but will be glad to post pic's when I get home.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast