Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: What's the best primer for bare metal parts.

Member #:1049

What's the best primer for bare metal parts.

We've media blasted the door hinges, latch's, brackets, etc, and I want to primer them before installation. I'm waaay out of date with paint products so would like some input on what you guys are using these days. I have spray guns--both internal and external mix, as well as hvlp. I know the primer should be compatible with the finish to be used, so another question is ; what type of paint are you guys using ? My last spray job was with acrylic laquer back in the late '70's. I think the EPA has outlawed what I'm used to.
    "High performance cars don't kill...low performance drivers do!"
    -Stroker

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Epoxy primer is far and away the best primer to use on clean bare metal, which you should have too.

In CA, they've probably effectively outlawed lacquer, though it's still availabe elsewhere. But the EPA has neutered it to where you don't want to use it anyway.

Acrylic urethane is a modern paint system that combines the best features of the old time lacquer, and old time enamel. It lays flat, dries fairly quickly, and you can polish it but you don't have to.

Your basic choice is between base/clear, where the clear is a urethane, and single stage urethane (single stage gets you color and shine in one product). The clear and single stage are the same chemistry, and similar durability. Base coats vary in their chemistry. Waterborne base is coming on now, but you still clear with urethane. The advantage of base/clear is with metallic and advanced custom paint like candy and pearl. Much easier to spray base and get an even finish without tiger stripes, mottling, etc. Then you get the gloss and depth with the clear. Single stage is better with solid colors, though you can base/clear them too.

Member #:1049
    Thanks Rick_L for the update. In your experience is there one outstanding manufacturer that you prefer, or are they all about the same ? This project is going to take some time, so would like to use one product and stay with it.
    "High performance cars don't kill...low performance drivers do!"
    -Stroker

Registered Member

Member #:79
    Rick is right....

Member #:115
    I agree with Rick. I used PPG DPLF epoxy on every square inch of my car, inside and outside, and all metal parts that won't be plated or powdercoated. If you have never bought epoxy primer or urethane paints, you're in for sticker shock. I think DPLF is right around $300 a gallon now with the activator. There are less epensive epoxy primers on the market, though. Most epoxies don't sand well and need to be followed up with a primer/surfacer. I used PPG K36.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:229
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Most epoxies don't sand well and need to be followed up with a primer/surfacer. I used PPG K36.
    So epoxy primer followed up with a urethane primer?
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Yes, that's what the PPG K36 is. But there are many similar products on the market.