Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Modern Spindles

Member #:777
    Rockytopper, what are you trying to accomplish with your car? Do you want to improve the auto cross type abilities such as used for Good Guys auto cross racing? It's interesting to note that many of the successful competitors are using Camaros and Chevelles with the type of simple improvements as you mentioned earlier, S&P adjustable arms, tall ball joints etc. I don't know how much a Tri5 will improve but it will definitely see much improved handling with these simple improvements.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Rockytopper, you keep talking about changing the static alignment. The taller spindles give you a different camber gain as the suspension moves. Even if you start at 0 camber.

Hellwig has a video of a 56 going through an autocross course with before and after of their sway bars. This is a far bigger deal than the camber gain curve. I don't know if it's on their website, but it's been posted at trifive.com. Limiting the suspension travel with sway bars will have a far greater effect than the small gain you get from camber gain.

I have heard that the Howe extended ball joints can get bent pins in service. Does Howe have any kind of maintenance/quick check recommendations?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    but you 2 screwed up the calulator so 255 with 4.5 might fit??????
    No, the calculator is not "screwed up". The default front end width was the point of contention. I used GM specs, and Rick used his measurements. The GM spec is 59 1/8" and Rick measured 59 1/2" on his '55. The CORRECT way to use the calculator is to measure your own car, and use your measurements as inputs. Whatever they have on the website calculator you linked for defaults is his own doing, not mine.

There is no way that a 255 tire with a zero offset wheel will "fit", meaning you can bolt it on but it will rub the fenders on a lowered car in turns.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Well we shall see if they fit or not worst case Ill have to go to deeper bs. I did manage to strip on side of the car this morning.

Rick I am planning to run hellwigs front and back. If the taller Howe joints are bending I haven't had ant issues yet. And if they are I'd rather have it fail like that than snap a spindle arm off.

maddog I just want it to handle in the turns and be stable at high speeds. The cutlass does that. I only AX for fun and have actually become bored with the go cart size course. I enjoy cruising the winding back roads much more than chasing cones.
    Rocky

Your 255 will fit with around 5.5" BS (8" wheel) but you need taller then 15" wheels to clear the upper ball joints, of course a 2" drop spindle will solve that issue. Still that's a wide tire for the front on a Tri5.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Maddog, you left out the other mod required. You have to narrow the frame rails (hourglass cut).

I think even an AME frame only can wear a 245 tire.

I don't know that you have to do that to the frame, they may just rub. We'll hear more when he tries it. And I should have said "your 255 MAY fit with around 5.5" BS"

They don't look that big to me lol. Compared to the cutlass the 55 has huge space within the inner fender. Ill be running these wheels & tires. This is 17 inch I have mounted here. I might go to 18's but no bigger. I still want lots of rubber I don't like rubberband look.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 08-29-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Stock height car, no problem. Try lowering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Stock height car, no problem. Try lowering it.
    I am lol. Here is the new spring compared to the old one I removed today.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast