Spent alot of time installing this VA Gen 4 "servo actuated" system in my restomod 57 Nomad. The difference between earlier generation VA systems was that all "blend doors" in the evaporator unit were still cable activated. (old style steel cable in steel sheeth).
The Gen 4 system comes with the evaporator "blend doors" being servo driven (electric actuator motors atop the pivot point of the inner doors). These are controlled by wiring, and the VA's electronics control unit.

IMG_1742.jpg

So I want to ADD servo actuated "fresh air" vents. I want to completely eliminate the old cable activated system. It's clunky, hard to route stiff cables, and generally leaks fresh air even when closed due to the antiquated felt design of the inner oval shaped doors.

IMG_1839.jpg

On the passenger side of the fresh air ducting, the "tee" for feeding air to the (now eliminated) heater box was unnecessary, so I cut it out and will be welding the hole up.

IMG_1841.jpg

Both sides (passenger and driver) have that same oval shaped inner door that leaks at high speeds, because the design is poor, and the air has no where to go when the door is closed. Both sides could stand to be improved so that when closed NO AIR passes thru to the inner cabin.

What I want to do is create a new "fresh air blend door" insert (to fit inside that old section with the oval door) with:
1. A solid, air tight Blend Door/housing.
2. That is opened or closed via servo actuator
3. and is controlled by adapting the Inside/Outside lever that sends the signal to the servo (ie the stock climate control levers on the dash, same way the other 3 levers now operate with the VA conversion switches mounted behind them)

IMG_1849.jpg

To do all of this, I will need to design a new "blend door housing/insert" that:
1. fits/mounts into the existing (approx. 6" long x 5" diameter) driver/passenger horizontal section of the existing air ducting
2. contains an inner air-tight (when closed) blend door on a vertical "pivot" rod
3. includes a bypass outlet aiming the fresh air at the engine compartment (when the door is closed...because air will build up inner pressure that has no where to go at high speeds. Why not cool your engine compartment?)
4. contains a servo driven motor, over the pivot that can be attached to the vent ducting

Here's a pic of the servo's on the VA Gen 4 system...could use this style servo-actuators I suppose...

IMG_1742.jpg

So what I envision is a sort of "insert" (injection molded) out of ABS plastic, that can be inserted/mounted into the existing air duct tube (once the old oval door and pivot is removed). An insert that contains a round blend door on a vertical pivot...with a sort of rubber edge so that it seals itself completely when closed. The piece could be "caulked" in once its securely mounted inside the existing duct tube, to keep air from going around it.

SCAN0094.jpg

In the HVAC world, it would look kind of like this...

Motorized AC Vent.jpg

The challenge is the servo-wiring part.... The VA controller is not configured for these additional 2 servo motors, so there's no way to add this into it without knowing how the whole thing is built and programmed/configured. More than I'm cut out for...this is a product upgrade idea if VA were to take it on...(haven't bothered to approach them yet).

Wondering what you guys thing about my idea here?

60+ mph in 100 degree weather in SoCal with the AC on, the fresh air vents closed, and the car's still pumping hot air into the cabin from OLD INEFFECTIVE AIR DUCT/DOOR DESIGN...
Have been dealing with this in my 9 passenger wagon ever since I put a VA Gen 3 system in there...

Hammer away here. I'm all ears...