Now that my Nomad's C4 chassis is essentially finished and the Ramjet 502 BBC engine is upgraded and installed, I have moved back to the body to do the final priming and blocking to get it ready for paint. I had already prepped and primed the body with PPG DPLF, followed by Slicksand, lots of blocking, and a coat of PPG K36. This is where it was before I started the interior construction and then blew it apart to paint and assemble the chassis....can't believe it's already been 5 years.

20120325_0015.JPG

20120325_0012.JPG

To get all the dust and shop crap off of it, I washed the body with Simple Green and water, and then wiped it all down with PPG Oil and Wax Remover. I sanded the roof without guide coat because I could see pretty easily where I sanded and where any low spots were. The roof was already very straight and this is after blocking with 400 grit:

IMG_2999.JPG

Then I applied some Evercoat guide coat to both sides.....

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

I blocked the doors and quarters with dry 400 grit using 9", 16", and 24" sanding blocks, depending on where I was on the panels. I have a couple of very minor low spots left that I believe will be addressed with another coat of primer.

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

I also guide-coated the tailgate and tailpan areas and sanded with 400 grit. I think it's pretty darn straight now.....

IMG_3012.JPG

I still have the firewall to finish since I had to add new mounting studs for the Gen IV Vintage Air. My plan now is to do the final seam sealing, then spray the last (I hope) coat of PPG K36 urethane primer. I want to do a little more work on the interior before I remove everything and put the body on the rotisserie for final priming of the underside. Everything has PPG DPLF on it but I need to do some touchup after welding for the console, etc. A little seam sealer and sanding and the bottom will be ready too. Hopefully I can get to paint by early summer.

One question for Robert or whoever can reply without any of the typical snide remarks....once I spray the final coat of primer, should I sand with 400 or 600, or both? Wet or dry?