Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Nomad final prep and paint

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member #:115
    Well I got them installed. I found it was a TON easier when I lubed them.....I used a mixture of water and Simple Green. I started at the rocker as you did, after trimming the seal to match the angle. I installed the seal about 3-4" and pulled it down to the rocker and worked my way around. It's not that bad when you figure out how to do it, but I still wouldn't say it's "easy" to do. You have to get the inside of the seal flared out like the outside on the stock-type, which I don't think you have to do on the Woody's seals. But I like the double seal the original style provides.

If you get the seal over the wheelhouse sheetmetal you can work the inside of the seal with your fingers and a smooth flat object. I used the handle of a pair of pliers, but I'm make sure they were covered with plastic if you're dealing with a painted car. Once you get the seal "flared" on the inside a little, you can put the tool between the seal and quarter panel and just pull it along the length of the seal to "flip" the inside lip where it belongs. It helps to lube the tool too.

Now that I have them in I'm going to finish the blocking of the car with them installed, and I may still remove them and reinstall them after painting. I will probably use some sort of textured finish in the wheelwells and I think it would be cleaner to leave them out for applying that. Once they're installed, I'll probably run a bead of some sort of adhesive or sealer between the seal lip and the wheelhouse sheetmetal. I made a joint at the back because they don't make the seals long enough to go all the way down. So I'll probably seal that with some black RTV or something like that.

One question. I once saw where someone said the Nomads and wagons had a brace between the wheel opening on the quarter and the wheelhouse flap. Does yours? My lower flap on the passenger side is removable to access my battery. That allows the quarter panel to move away from the seal on that side. I may have to add some sort of a brace to keep the quarter panel from moving.

20170624_011.JPG

20170624_006.JPG

20170624_003.JPG

20170624_010.JPG

This is INSIDE the quarter panel...

20170624_001.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax