Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
I've got an NOS GM B/U light assembly in the box for a '56. I'd be glad to photograph the parts? or scan/post the instruction sheet if it would help you? Let me know...
Like I said, I figured it out and after looking at them again, the issue was the way I was looking at the instructions. And I really wonder why they didn't make the socket retainer like the original part. I really don't care, and it works fine, but if you're going to make a reproduction part it should look like the stock part. IMO. And you should INCLUDE THE DAMN SCREWS!

I also have several sets of NOS tailgate bars that I could check for the backside notations...?
I have a full set of NOS/NORS tailgate bars that I bought in the late 70's, but only 2 are out of the GM package and I don't want to open them up. The packages are like the 60's or 70's GM blue and white packages, not the older yellow and black ones from the 50's. I also have a set of original tailgate bars that were on my Nomad when I bought it. I looked at all the originals and all but one have "CAV. 2" on them.....the other is "CAV. 1". NONE of the original bars have the defects I'm seeing on the NORS or Trim Parts bars. Here's what I think.....the molds were in good shape during normal production in the 50's. I think a lot of parts were made later for replacement stock aka NORS parts. It looks to me like when they ran the NORS parts the molds were damaged or worn out, or they had defects that had to be buffed out by the plater. The thing is, the defects all look exactly the same so I doubt they're from plating/buffing. My understanding is Trim Parts bought the GM molds and their parts even have the GM part number on them and all the same casting marks as the NORS and original parts.

I'm just really disappointed in the quality of the Trim Parts bars after looking at them more closely and spending $350 on them. They look like badly re-chromed parts, but everyone was raving about how good they were and that they used original molds so that's what I bought. The bad Danchuk door handles also influenced my decision. They all look good on the right side, but they all look bad on the left side. And the sharp detail is gone on all the lower edges. Plus the retainer riveting sucks and 2 were fallen off. I would really like to see a set of Danchuk bars to see if they're better but don't relish the thought of putting out another $425 for them if they're the same.