OK, I don't know who wrote it but it finally sunk into my big fat head about using the mechanical pump is creating a low pressure in the fuel line, so it will boil easier. So I'm ready to go electric back as close the the tank as possible. Is a pump like this OK? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4594
Will a pump like that run constantly? At one time many years back I had an electric pump but it sounded like a little jack hammer, and it only hammered when the pressure went down. I sure don't want one like that because I could hear it with open headers!!! The one thing that bothers me is the 1/4"NTP fitting that goes to a 3/8" hose. Why a 1/4"? I just had the 55 out today and it's warm for winter but was under 60° and my fuel pressure dropped before I hit 3rd, but it wasn't bad enough to make it stumble, well also because I left off the throttle. I'm sure a new tank with an in tank pump would be the best, but I'm sure hoping I don't have to go that far.

I also have heard more than 1 person say they ran an electric through the mechanical just in case the electric failed. I suppose because mechanical pumps tend to give a warning and die more slowly than an electric. Anyone running there's like that? As much as I'd like that kind of backup, I also would be concerned about it helping to raise the fuel temperature. It does have a 1/8" spacer for heat insulation from the block, but with the hot air from the radiator the mechanical pump gets pretty hot.

So to sum up, I was w, wr, wrrr, wrrroo, wwwwrrrooo, ah, not correct.