Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Floor shift installation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Member #:2941

Floor shift installation

Have a question...... For my '57 Chevy sedan, I have decided to swap in a stronger Borg Warner T-85 3-speed transmission with the R-11 overdrive (came out of a '66 Ford truck). Floor shifts for these particular transmissions are hard to find now of days. So will need to get parts together and make my own mounting bracket for shifter. T-10 shift levers for side cover look like they will fit. May possibly need to shorten and rethread shifter rods depending on where new bracket positions shifter unit.

My question is really about which shifter mechanism to use. In the past, I have used a Hurst Synchro-Lock 3-speed shifter and I liked it. Others available used or NOS (all Hurst) include the Synchro-Lock, the Master Craft, the Indy and some used 'original OEM' types made by Hurst having no other designation as to type and in many cases, no adjustable stop bolts and jam nuts.

If using one of these 3-speed shifters, is the Synchro Lock the best unit to go with?

Also...... If I cannot locate a good 3-speed shifter unit...... Is there any reason why I cannot use a Hurst Competition Plus 4-speed shifter and only use the 2 levers and rods on the H-pattern portion (leaving the 'reverse' lever and rod of the 4-speed shifter unused)?

Thanks,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 09-19-2018 at 03:50 AM.