So I recently recieved a 55' 2 door hard top from my dad, since his license was taken away from him. About a month ago the generator light came on, but it was very dim, but would get brighter as i revved the engine. With the engine running battery voltage is 12.5v, using a volt meter across the two terminals on the generator is 6-7v. I get 14v out of the generator and the voltage regulator on the volt meter when I ground the volt meter to the body. I took the generator apart, brushes look good, good spring tension, armature looks good, I cleaned everything and put it back together. Pulled the voltage regulator apart cleaned the contacts and terminals to the regulator. I was told to try and polarize the generator and regulator, I tried that with no positive results. When I was checking the running voltage after doing all of that, I tried to turn the headlights on to see if anything would change with the generator light, but now I have to headlights, brake lights or tail lights, and well right now I'm absolutely lost...…

I got the car from my dad like I stated earlier in the post and I would go back to him for help, but he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and well he doesn't remember much of anything technical with the car. I was a mechanic for about 10 years, but for some reason I cant grasp the old timey electrical stuff. Thanks for any help