Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad final assembly

Member #:1653
    And people wonder why these cars are so expensive.

Member #:115
    I disassembled both door glasses and checked them against each other, and they look identical to me. The lower channels look identical except one's left and the other is right. I noticed that the new repop channels are deeper than the stock ones I have and that the top of them hits the bottom of the rubber flap. Not sure why they're made that tall.

I think part of the problem is that it's hard to get the chrome frame in exactly the right position, and you can't move it once it's installed. There's really no corner that accurately locates the frame on the glass. So I decided to try a trick......I put both the rubber gaskets on the glass, lubed them with window cleaner, and installed the lower channel at an angle. Then I installed the rear of the chrome frame at a slight angleand aligned the screw holes with the ones in the lower channel and installed one screw. Then I used a dead-blow hammer to tap both the frame and the lower channel into position on the gaskets. This forces the frame into the correct position relative to the glass and ensures the screw holes line up. It was tight but I think it worked. I then installed and tightened both screws. I again hammered the frame and channels to try to seat them and put a clamp on the front of them that I'll leave for a couple of days while everything sets and dries out. Hopefully then they won't move.

I'm putting an order together for a few more parts like door weatherstrips and seals, chrome crests, a cowl to hood seal, a tailgate cable retractor (screwed up and only ordered one before), and I have Madmooks working on getting me a shipment of all of his stainless tailgate hardware and door strikers put together.

I decided to eliminate all the gold on my car so that's why I'm going with the chrome crests. I got a chrome "BelAir" script for the speaker grille and I've been trying to get a chrome "Nomad" script for some time now. I got ahold of Bill at Danchuk a couple years ago and suggested they make some in chrome since all the other gold stuff is available in chrome now. He thought it was a great idea and said he'd try to get it done, but I haven't seen one yet. So I may have to send one off to get stripped and chrome plated. Hopefully soon I'll be installing that stuff.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3898
    When you place your order for the tailgate re-tractor, you may want to ask them if they carry the pin that goes through the clevis. The one's I just bought did not come with the pins and they need to be the correct length or you may have issues with the cables re-tracking correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by BCPrez View Post
    When you place your order for the tailgate re-tractor, you may want to ask them if they carry the pin that goes through the clevis. The one's I just bought did not come with the pins and they need to be the correct length or you may have issues with the cables re-tracking correctly.
    Thanks for the heads up. I bought a set of the clevis pins from Mr. Nomad so I assume they will work. I looked at my cables and they have the rounded clevis on the end like the stock ones. They're still in GM boxes. I wonder why the repops have that square clevis.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Not sure why the repop is so squared and chuncky either, when the factory one looks to be an easier one to make. Glad you already have the correct pins. I'll have to order a set.

In case anyone needs to buy Nomad door weatherstrip I thought I'd mention that I found out you can get them from Summit or Jegs for a great price. The SoffSeal 1002 weatherstrips (55-57 Nomad/Safari) are $92 directly from the company website, around $69 on eBay, but Jegs and Summit sell them for $36. I just got mine today, and they were drop-shipped directly from SoffSeal. The hood to cowl seal is only a little cheaper from Summit.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Thank you for the information. I ordered a set of roof rail seals from Danchuk and they should arrive today. I opted to try them as they are molded to fit the corner radius so I my hope is the window will seat better. I will update as soon as I get them in.

I'm trying to get some plugs and seals installed and I'm a little confused. I've installed the four rocker end plugs and the inner rocker drain seals. Also installed the cowl vent bumpers that I didn't even know needed to be there.

I have a hardtop floor in my Nomad because they didn't make sedan floors that long ago. There's a hole in the front floor brace that I always thought was for a convertible body mount but sedan floors have them too. The brace has a hole in it, as does the floor pan right above it. Both are 3/4" in diameter.

Right behind those holes are two smaller, 5/8" diameter holes. I don't have a clue what these are for.

Finally, just behind the doors there are two holes in the floor pan for hardtop body mounts, which I don't have. They are also 3/4".

I want to plug all of these holes with rubber plugs (maybe should have welded them up) but I'm not sure what plugs to use. Danchuk makes several of them but they don't say what size hole they fit.

I THINK Danchuk 813 is for the holes in the braces and the floor above them. They have a long protrusion for some reason and they say 4 are required per car.

I don't want to use 813 in the holes behind the doors because of the length of the protrusion (I'm picky). The rocker end plugs #825 are too big and I think they're 1".

Danchuk 810 are for the trunk side walls and I think they're too big but I can measure on my sedan.

Danchuk 812 says it's for "rear body mount access plug" which I think is in the trunk. Nomads don't have these. Again I'll have to check the size but I think they're too big too.

I can't find anything that's supposed to go into the two smaller holes behind the front braces. What goes there?

I did find these plugs for the rear doors on a 4DHT but don't know the size.

I guess I'll hit the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find anything "generic" that will work. I don't want plastic plugs so I'll be looking for rubber. Anyone have suggestions? Anyone know what those two 5/8" holes are for?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

The brace holes I'm referring to are the ones on the right end in this pic. The floor pan has the same size 3/4" holes directly above them. The ones on the "tab" hanging off the brace go through the floor too, and they're the 5/8" ones.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    I would guess some of the holes would have been for registering the body parts together when it was assembled, but not sure on that. If you can't get the right size plugs for all the holes you could always drill out the holes to fit plugs that you can get. Probably not the best idea after everything is already painted but you could touch up the edges of the hole before putting in the plug as the plug will cover the touched up area anyway.
    Brian

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast