Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Rod Power Tour 2016

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    The route has been posted. As I suspected the route goes very close to our place so looks like we may not make it to GP TX..... I'm sure we will have had enough car time by then lol....

https://www.raceit.com/images/imageb...RS1-MAY_23.pdf
    Good stuff! I think I'll catch them crossing the Red River on Hwy 81. I know the area pretty well and should be able to setup and shoot pretty much all that cross there.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    It's looking like alot of fun this year. We are joining in with a large group here in central Texas for our on mini tour on the way down to the start. There is also a large group on FB discussing an alternate route thru the hill country for the Austin to GP leg. Way to much I-35 & I-20 for that leg.
    Rocky

Anyone else from here going?

Member #:1704
    I was planning to go to Baytown, but my car is not exactly waterproof.
    1955 2D HT, 1957 2D Sedan, 2004 Z06 Corvette, http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/OL...?sort=3&page=0

Quote Originally Posted by OLKY55 View Post
    I was planning to go to Baytown, but my car is not exactly waterproof.
    Highway 81 North crosses the Red River (Wednesday trip) and I was thinking about catching them either at Terral, OK or maybe Ryan or Waurika, OK. Little small one horse towns but they have to slow down. Ryan would be the best spot I think. It's only a 240 mile trip and if I leave at 6:00 AM it should pan out perfect giving me time to set up both cameras.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    My tentative plan is to catch it in Austin.

What a Blast!!! We turned off route today into our drive. We met a great Group of guys from Long Island NY. They are long hauling in an original 55 wagon with ls1 4l60 and an original big block ss nova now sporting a 572. It is wicked to say the least. I got to run AX on my first SCCA size course. The olds took the field for classic cars. I only made 2 runs. The SCCA sponsored cars were new 5.0 mustangs and Z28's. They were running 3 seconds faster than my second pass. A 1994 camaro won the event. He was part of the tour not a SCCA car from the sponsors. The first leg we took our on route and chased gators and ran along the coast of LA. Got stuck getting across small ferry behind several hotrods for hr plus then we are almost ready to be our turn and cars are being backed off to low to get on ferry at high tide lol. We barely made it ourselves lol. Baytown was pretty much rained out when we arrived late. Austin at circuit of America was disappointing for most and poorly ran. They had 6000 of us parked down a road for miles waiting to get in. They said todays event in Grand Prairie was much better organized and far better show. We gave our new NY friends a hood ornament to rember us Texans by lol.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 06-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I went as a spectator to the Austin stop at Circuit of the Americas.

It was hot as hell out there. There were some nice cars, but a lot more late models than I cared to see. And not as many 50s/60s cars or street rods as I'd like. I guess that's a sign of the times. Most of the participants I talked to were disappointed with Baytown (essentially rained out) and with the Austin deal (organization and heat). COTA is an awesome place, just not well suited for this. We got out there mid afternoon and it was obvious that a lot of participants left by then or shortly after and sought out some a/c at their hotel or wherever.

There was a nice car show/cruise in Monday night at Cabella's in Kyle/Buda (not sure which, but south of Austin on I35 not far from the track), and there were a bunch of good cars there. Most cars were local but a few travelers from the tour.

I can see now why the power tour doesn't do Texas often, since their schedule is typically in June. It can be either too hot or too wet, and they got both. Probably more of the heat for Dallas, OKC, and KC.

Rick another problem this year is the venue locations and routes caused tour folks to disburse to find their on route outta of the metro messes in Houston, Austin, and DFW. We enjoyed the all rural back road routes in past. this years route from La thru Tx had way to much interstate driving. kind of took away from it for many of us. Perhaps it improved thru OK but they could have done a much better job on the first 3 legs routes. But we still had a blast. Here is our new friend in his 572 BB nova playing with new Camaro. NO CONTEST LOL...
    Rocky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzlYekoZDY
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 06-16-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Member #:115
    Have they ever had a Power Tour that came through Colorado? I've not heard of it being here.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast