Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Helping "marry up" a friend's 56 HT and chassis... (What I did today)

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I figured that following the rules - good manners and treating others with respect wouldn't last forever here. A real shame.
    My, my, there's some real pickiness going on. For no benefit to anyone.
    Not that it matters to me but to some, it seems to - Mr. Rick - All I observe is you trying to push someone's button or goad them into an argument which I see as contrary regarding Mr. Sid's rules. I don't think anyone here, including myself due to biting the bait is lily white.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Maybe the message is shoot the messenger.

I thought Cnut's criticism of Bama Nomad's friend's car was out of line, as well as his other reactions. Maybe you don't see it that way. At least one other did. And there was more.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I wasn't talking about a custom car, or what constitutes one. I was talking about the custom parts for the car that BN was referring to. My comment had nothing to do with any classes or judging.

A "custom" part is one that is not OTS. Not sure why that's so difficult for some to grasp. Cleaning and re-painting parts is NOT "custom". Buying an OTS part and bolting it on is not "custom". Even replacing a firewall with one from a supplier is not "custom" IMO because anyone can get one.

Custom is "one-off" or a part built specifically for one customer. Don't see why some of you have such an issue with discussing this.
    Lordy! Have you fellas not had ANYTHING to do except argue while I was at the TriFive nats? Calm down! All of you... I'm smiling. I didn't get angry/upset at CN having a different opinion of the word 'custom' than I do... nor should anyone else. It's interesting to discuss among ourselves how we see or understand different things (or even different words), but let's keep ourselves civil.. don't get *personal*.. *Don't say bad things about other's cars*.. (or wives/children/girlfriends/mothers/etc either!)..

CN's def of custom is FINE (for him), just as other's defs are fine for them.. We EACH have an opinion (about just about everything).. God gave us all that limited ability!

CN: My photos were to give an overall 'picture' of his car, NOT to showcase the many small "CUSTOM" parts he has made which are totally unique to him and his shop and car, but when I get a chance I will take some photos just for you...

PS. I gave the definition that most car clubs use for 'custom' in their judging guidelines; *typically* when people change their BODY sheetmetal, which puts them into a 'CUSTOM class', they don't stop there... they make MANY totally custom/unique parts in many areas of their car to show their unique customizing abilities.. and the degree to which they do that is what distinguishes the first place winners from the also rans...

Registered Member

Member #:625

I thought Cnut's criticism of Bama Nomad's friend's car was out of line, as well as his other reactions. Maybe you don't see it that way. At least one other did. And there was more.
    I too felt this way, Bamas friends car did not deserve Cnuts comment.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I too felt this way, Bamas friends car did not deserve Cnuts comment.
    GUYS! Let's stop this... please. I did not take CN's comments as criticism of my friend's car... He may have 'over interpreted' or mis interpreted my use of the word 'custom' given the photos I posted (because I didn't post any detail photos of his 'custom parts'... but that's OK. I have NO PROBLEM with someone having a different opinion than my own. and Miscommunications can be corrected, but personal criticisms generally do not get corrected ... and I believe that's the reason this 'issue' (if it is one) has gone on so long. Let's keep our comments 'impersonal'... but please be an opinionated as you need to be.. we all can learn by comparing our own opinions with others, regardless of how diverse they might be..

IF this site has to have personal criticisms among a few people, then how about we have a 'FIGHTS/DISAGREEMENTS' forum, where you guys can say anything you want about anyone else (and the rest of us can stay out of it and continue reading about our cars)...??

Member #:115

What was "out of line" Rick? BamaNomad referred to the chassis having "lots of custom parts". I asked what was custom about it. He mentioned a few things the owner made. Then you jumped in with your unnecessary comments as usual. You and marky are two peas in a pod, always looking for a fight or an opportunity to attack someone. Marky made the first attack above, but as usual you don't mention that. Funny how you become so concerned about what people say about another guy's project, when you're usually the critic.

In mentioning the exhaust being clamped as it is, I was making an observation that I thought was legitimate, to help the owner address it before it caused a problem. I guess you think that's wrong too.

So come on Rick and Marky, tell me WHAT WAS OUT OF LINE or just shut the hell up and ignore my posts.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Here they are Rick, every comment I made on this thread about Bama's friend's chassis. Now tell me which one was supposedly "out of line":

"What "custom parts" are you referring to BN? Everything I see on the chassis looks like bolt-on stuff. I like seeing custom stuff. "

"To me, "custom" means one-of-a-kind or hand-built. Buying stuff OTC that someone else made and bolting it all together isn't "custom" to me.

"Looks like he did some nice custom exhaust work, but beyond that it looks like a standard AME frame with a GM crate engine and some custom plumbing. Not knocking the car, because I think it's very nice....but "custom" just doesn't ring for me."

"I'd love to see it. When you originally posted I thought you were referring to custom stuff on the chassis, which I didn't see. I think it's cool when guys make their own parts instead of buying OTS parts and bolting them on, but there's a limit to it or you'll never get done.....like me. "

"I agree with Nick that the h-pipe brace is a bad design as-shown, but for a different reason. When the exhaust pipes heat up they expand. The h-pipe needs to be able to move rearward to accommodate that expansion. If it can't move, it will stress the pipes.headers and with repeated thermal cycling something is probably going to crack."
    Last edited by chevynut; 08-22-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    This thread was dead and all but forgotten until now, this clearly shows who the trouble maker is and why this site is stagnate.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Well said markm.

Cnut, maybe you should ignore MY posts if they set you off 2 weeks after posting, and a week after other comments. I guess the hurt lingers.

Banned

Member #:2775
    At least with all the different opinions, it all makes this forum slightly more interesting, and thought provoking than other sites. The shaming, name calling out, is a little over the top though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast