1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:625
    We had a local guy build a so call high end 57 2ht,C4, and 502 had 150k plus in it went to BJ and got 48k before commissions

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Just shows you there are idiots out there with $$$ IMO
    No, imo it shows there is a demand for nice, high end cars. Some restored original cars bring over $100K and to me those guys are the idiots. If we're talking about a rare car like a COPO or Yenko Camaro, or a HEMI Cuda that's different.

look at Grame the odd ball that had the blown 55. Tried to sell his and couldn't get shit out of it
    I don't know what he got for his car when he sold it. His was a imo more of a pro street build and pro-street is dead and has been for years. Plus while his car was pretty nice, it wasn't top end. I saw it in person at Goodguys Loveland CO. Nobody wants a pro-street car anymore, and few want restored cars. Like I said, most guys today want modern steering, handling, and conveniences in an old car. That's what pro-touring brings to the table.

Part of it is that you couldn't duplicate either of these cars for under $100K, and if a shop did it it would be higher than that. You can't make money having a shop build a car and trying to sell it. There's too many labor hours in a high end car with lots of mods.

Bamanomad, I have no plans to sell my Nomad but if it ever gets to the point that I lose interest in cars or can't drive anymore, who knows. Pretty sure I can get more out of it than I have in it....if you ignore my time. LOL!
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-23-2017 at 07:27 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We had a local guy build a so call high end 57 2ht,C4, and 502 had 150k plus in it went to BJ and got 48k before commissions
    If that's the case it wasn't a high-end car and probably sorely lacked in workmanship or was a 60's style build. You can build a restored original and get more than that and most nice resto-mods bring more if done right. I personally think you just made that up because it resembles my Nomad with the C4/502. Where's the link to the auction? They're all online.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3273
    Congrats!

Member #:3217
    CN wrote: "Bamanomad, I have no plans to sell my Nomad but if it ever gets to the point that I lose interest in cars or can't drive anymore, who knows. Pretty sure I can get more out of it than I have in it....if you ignore my time. LOL!"

I think that is true for most of us who expect (hope) to get more from our cars upon sale than what we put into them...
    We have to DO the work ourselves and IGNORE payment for our time..

You are right re a very nicely done RestoMod being able to bring $100-150K or more.. but everything has to be *right*.. the color, the builder, the model car, etc... and those things 'change' from season to season and are difficult to predict.

Personally I pay little attention to the B-J auction prices. I know too many examples of *fake cars* that get PUSHED by B-J at auction because the seller/builder is a close friend of theirs (or a great repeat customer?).. The prices are inflated on the higher end cars by RICH guys trying to impress their buds (or almost rich guys trying harder to impress the audience). The ONLY entities making $$ from a BJ auction are B and J themselves (at 20% of all the sales)...

Member #:3301

First Drive

As an up-date to my 57 and to the many comments, thanks for the words folks. I do plan of leaving this car as original as possible and agree that any modification will detract form its value. This is not to say that modified cars cannot be better in terms of newer equipment and can be worth more but starting with what appears to be an original car I feel it would be a shame to modify it. Like the man said, it is my car and I can do with it what I like - this is America.

I have replaced the fuel system from gas cap to the FI system with new. Inside the old tank looked like the surface of the moon! It is amazing what current gas can do. I have access to 100LL avgas and plan to use it. I don't know if the valve seats are the newer variety so running it with leaded avgas should solve that problem.

I have removed the 283 cu in engine and have it running on a stand with an AFB while the FI system is undergoing restoration. The FI system is in a shop where it will be dialed-in and made to look new. The engine has good compression, makes close to 15" of manifold vacuum and idles at 45+ PSI of oil pressure. This was an auction bought car will little history known and based on these reading I'm planning to clean it up, paint it and re-install it with out opening up.

While the engine is out I cleaned up the engine bay. The previous owner went nuts with a can of Chev orange paint and had over-spray on the frame. Turns out that when this car was restored the frame was powder coated so I was able to remove the orange paint with-out effecting the appearance of the frame.

Work continues and I hope to take to a show or two this coming summer. I did jack up the rear and count the driveshaft revolutions necessary to rotate tires one turn. It came out to 4.56:1. So driving this car on the freeway is probably not going to happen.

This car is a little like the box of candy in the Forest Gump movie - you never know what you will get.

Stay tuned
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by alhewitt View Post
    I have access to 100LL avgas and plan to use it. I don't know if the valve seats are the newer variety so running it with leaded avgas should solve that problem.
    I would advise against doing that. Leaded gasoline has been banned for highway use for a couple of decades now. Also, when you buy aviation fuel, you're not paying the highway taxes so its illegal to use on the highway. The fine is up to $10,000. Plus it's almost $5 a gallon here.

Sounds like kind of a unique car. Good luck with it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    E85 is what I would wish I should have set my car up for, instead of 110 race gas at $7+ a gallon. But I've only been putting on 100 miles a year so far. Running illegal gas makes for more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    E85 is what I would wish I should have set my car up for, instead of 110 race gas at $7+ a gallon. But I've only been putting on 100 miles a year so far. Running illegal gas makes for more fun.
    Why do you need 110 Octane? What are your engine specs? It's fun until you get caught.....but that's not too likely I suppose. We have to run emissions tests here and I don't know if they can check for lead.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast