Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disk Brake Brackets Only

Registered Member

Member #:625

Disk Brake Brackets Only

Looking for set of disk brackets only for my 55 with stock spindles, must be for use with 70 Chevelle rotors and use 2 15/16 Calipers. I currently have metric stuff installed by prior owner and don't like it. Most of the kits I see sold today use Metric stuff.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Looking for set of disk brackets only for my 55 with stock spindles, must be for use with 70 Chevelle rotors and use 2 15/16 Calipers. I currently have metric stuff installed by prior owner and don't like it. Most of the kits I see sold today use Metric stuff.
    Mark the zero offset kit that CPP has for stock spindles uses the D52 calipers but trans am rotors. I ordered them upgraded with the will wood units. If you have a pattern for the bracket I can get them cut fairly cheap if you wish to stick with the chevelle units.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    I think East Coast Chevy still carries them.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Mark the zero offset kit that CPP has for stock spindles uses the D52 calipers but trans am rotors. I ordered them upgraded with the will wood units. If you have a pattern for the bracket I can get them cut fairly cheap if you wish to stick with the chevelle units.
    The chevelle roters work fine no issues at all, they were new 5k ago when installed by previous owner. My only complaint is 55 does not stop as good as 56 with bigger calipers and same rotors.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rustaddict View Post
    I think East Coast Chevy still carries them.
    They appear to be what I need, thanks.

Registered Member

Am I on the right track it appears to me that 2 15/16 vs 2.5 bore should make a bug difference is stopping power.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Actually I think the metric caliper is 2-3/8" not 2-1/2" - which makes the difference even greater. The big caliper has about 50% more area. So that's 50% more clamping force if the line pressure is the same.

Here's what I think about it. Your brakes are no better than your tires. So if the small calipers can lock up the wheels that's all you can do.

But there's also the matter of "feel". If you don't have to work your foot as hard, you think you have better brakes because it's easier. I suppose that most driver's finesse at braking hard without locking up is easier when you don't have to push as hard. Kind of like a good pool shot or golf swing, you have more control when you're not pushed to get a lot done.

That's why so many think they have to have power brakes. And for some of those, maybe they do.

Registered Member

Thank Rick I think you confirmed my suspicions. ordered brackets today. I think that I will also switch to 11 inch drums on rear. When I replaced 66 Chevelle 12 bolt with the 57 Olds rear with 11 inch brakes on 56 I really improved its stopping.

Member #:3
    Do Not Know why This was Closed

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Thanks Sid, I did not see any controversy in this tread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast