Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Measuring axle length

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    At the two places I talked to about the ball vs tapered roller bearings, they both said the normally sell the ball to street/strip and the tapered rollers to offroad trucks. I would think that the forces applied to the bearings on a good launch would be greater than rock climbing. Or as I'm writing it comes to mind that a lot of off road trucks also have big wheel spacers and the forces from that would be a lot.

As far as lateral forces, in a hard turn the outside wheel would take a lot more of the load on the tapered bearing that is *working* in the direction.

I was unaware of ball bearings making a comeback. Is this in street cars? Or race cars looking to loose 0.0001 of a second on the track?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have been around a lot of drag cars in my time and they all have ball bearing. I am sure the comeback is due to the ridicules CAFE restrictions the Obummer EPA enacted.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have been around a lot of drag cars in my time and they all have ball bearing. I am sure the comeback is due to the ridicules CAFE restrictions the Obummer EPA enacted.
    As I've said many times before, I only go to the drag strip for fun. Sure it's cool to win a race, but like last Saturday, all I did was 5 runs during the tune and test. (or is that test and tune?) My car is STREET/strip. I didn't even go far last week on the road, but still the miles on it would be about 98% street and maybe, just maybe 2% strip.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I should clarify, the return to ball bearings has been for the front hubs. This is to lower the rolling resistance, indeed it's for the fuel mileage standards. Started way before Obama though, been happening for 20 years or so.

Registered Member

Well maybe I screwed up, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I should clarify, the return to ball bearings has been for the front hubs. This is to lower the rolling resistance, indeed it's for the fuel mileage standards. Started way before Obama though, been happening for 20 years or so.
    Wouldn't the came apply to rear hubs on fwd cars, pretty sure most rwd stuff has c-clips on those few models.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Of course it would.

For some time now Corvettes have had a sealed front hub assembly with two ball bearings, factory preloaded and lubed. 2WD pickups have had them almost as long. But I'd guess that FWD cars have had that arrangement on the rear for much longer. These setups are not serviceable, you have to buy a new hub if there's a problem. And that's where the pain comes because they cost far more than tapered roller bearings.

And you're right, C-clip stuff has a non-tapered roller bearing. The c-clip is what takes the thrust load.

Member #:115
    A lot of unitized hubs are made with tapered roller bearings as far as I can tell. Timken makes a lot of them. I'm not sure what the OEM C4 stuff uses. I think SKF uses ball bearings quite a bit.

https://www.timken.com/products/timk...eel-hub-units/

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    And you're right, C-clip stuff has a non-tapered roller bearing. The c-clip is what takes the thrust load.
    The c-clip one way and the center pin/shaft the other way right?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123