Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vent window rebuild help

Member #:115

Vent window rebuild help

I'm trying to get all the stuff I need together to rebuild my vent windows and have a few questions that I hope someone here can answer.

I understand the Nomad vent window frames are somehow different than the HTs and convertibles. What exactly is the difference? I have my original Nomad ones but I thought they were the same as a HT.

Since I'm going to have power vent windows, I don't think I want to use the stock latches that are on all but the convertible vent windows Why did they delete them on the convertibles anyhow? I was going to remove them from my frames and have them re-chromed but they'd probably be $100 each or so. I found a pair of NEW convertible frames for less than re-chroming one of mine. How is the quality of these repop frames? Is the chrome really show quality?

I have a set of new vent window seals that I bought in the 80's from CCI. They are still in the vacuum-sealed package and were made by "LTE Reproductions" and the rubber still seems soft and pliable. I don't know about the quality of these and I only want to do this once. Are the current reproduction parts better in any way or should I use the ones I have? I'm more concerned about the design than I am the material but I wonder about both with these old parts.

So I have the vent window seals, new fuzzy channel, glass, and will either re-chrome my frames or buy new ones. I think I need glass-setting tape. What else do I need? I see Mr. Nomad selling rivets but an article I have from CCI doesn't say anything about rivets.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Trying to get stuff ready while I sand on the body.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    It has been close to 30 years since I did mine and they are sedan vent windows so it probably is a bit different than Nomad vent windows. The one thing I do remember though is that I used aluminum pop rivets to hold the fuzzy channels in place and peened the ends over with a punch so they wouldn't rub on anything. I most likely got the new rubber seals from CCI also and they worked fine and are still in good condition.
    Brian

Thanks Brian, it's good to know those seals held up over 30 years. I'm sure yours are the same as mine since back then they were probably the only supplier.

I actually took the driver's side assembly apart today just to see how they're put together. It's a fairly complicated piece but I think it shouldn't be that tough assembling it. I found rebuild instructions on both Danchuk's and Eckler's websites.

I noticed the rebuild instructions use one long piece of fur channel but the original ones I have are 2-pieces. I wonder why they split them.

I just ordered a pair of new convertible vent window frames but after looking at my originals I wonder if I should have done that. Mine are almost show quality as they are but they have the latches which I think I want gone. I'll see how the new ones compare in quality and then decide what to do. I also found a pair of original convertible vent frames that I could have re-chromed if I have to or just weld up the latch holes in mine before plating. I get leery about re-pop parts because I don't think they're always made like originals. I heard the re-pop lower window channels are a little too wide for the glass and setting channel rubber so you have to glue them in. I sent my door window frames to Madmook for re-chrome even though it was cheaper to buy new ones, and Mike really didn't want to do them. I figure there should be no concerns about proper fitment that way.

BTW, if anyone is needing parts I-5 Classic Chevy (formerly Mike's Chevy Parts) is running a 10% discount through November and his prices were already very competitive from what I could tell. Shipping is reasonable too.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Some of the parts are different but not sure just what they are. The windshield is the same for HT, Conv, and Nomad, but the Nomad has the rubber seal on the roof which is about an inch thick. I have been told that a sedan vent window, which is smaller, will fit a Nomad but I don't know that. I honestly thought the whole vent assy was the same as the conv except for the lock. I think the outer SS vertical trim is the same, so I don't understand what I'm missing. There is also some difference in the door window bottom metal channel. If it was warmer here I would go out in my storage area and compare some things.

Keep in mind that there are different sizes of setting tape for use setting the glass in the frame.

Edit: Of course it is a sedan door so it has the raised area at the top of the door.
    Last edited by LEE T; 11-09-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I have been told that a sedan vent window, which is smaller, will fit a Nomad but I don't know that. I honestly thought the whole vent assy was the same as the conv except for the lock.
    I thought a sedan windshield was TALLER so I was assuming the vent window was taller, but I forgot about the fact that the door frame goes over the top of the vent window.

So I'm confused.....if the sedan vent window fits a Nomad and it's shorter than a HT/convertible vent window, how could a convertible vent window frame work on my Nomad? I have a couple of other vent window assemblies and when I compared them I thought they were taller than the ones from my Nomad. I know I have the right ones because all the screw holes line up and they look like they fit right.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

The other interesting question....if a sedan windshield is taller than a HT, why do they use the same windshield gasket? I assume you just stretch the HT one a little when installing it?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

I guess the nomad vent window is the same as HT
    http://mikeschevy.com/55-56-57-chevy...hardtop-nomad/

Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I guess the nomad vent window is the same as HT
    http://mikeschevy.com/55-56-57-chevy...hardtop-nomad/
    That's what I always understood, and the convertible is the same without the latch.

Also, I just measured them and the sedan vent window is 5/8" TALLER.
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-10-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

I found the difference, and just so everybody knows how the vent window mounts to the door at the bottom,
    this is the hardtop convertible vent window.

And this is how the hardtop convertible vent window frame looks out of the car

The next few pictures are the nomad vent window frames off of two different cars

And the back side of the frame

On the hardtop convertible the mounting bracket is a one piece angle bracket, and the nomad is a one piece channel type bracket held on with two rivets

When the nomad and hardtop convertible vent window frames are stacked on top of each other, you can see the only difference is that mounting bracket

Thanks Lee, I was looking at the pics and was going to say that my Nomad frames don't have those two holes for the horizontal screws into the door. Looks like there's still supposed to be two screws installed though. Mine has a screw through the vertical piece at the rear, into the door. Looks like that wasn't done on the HTs.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast