PDA

View Full Version : How to TIG Weld a 55 Chevy Restoration

Weld.com
06-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Hey Everyone,

For those of you getting into a 55 Chevy restoration (or already started) be sure to check out Weld.com's "TIG Time". It is a informational video series on how to TIG weld. Recently, TIG Time posted 2 videos on how to weld new eyebrows into a 55 Chevy. Check em out and tell me what you think.

TIG Time Episode 22 - How to TIG Weld a 55 Chevy Restoration (Preparing & Tacking the Eyebrow)
http://weld.com/index.php/mr-tig/83-tig-time-episode-22-how-to-tig-weld-a-55-chevy-restoration

TIG Time: How to TIG Weld a 55 Chevy Restoration (Welding the Eyebrow)
http://weld.com/index.php/mr-tig/91-tig-time-how-to-tig-weld-a-55-chevy-restoration-welding-the-eyebrow

chevynut
06-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow, where did you find a 14 gauge '55 Chevy fender? ;)

I guess I really don't see the benefits of TIG welding an eyebrow over MIG welding. I've done a lot of TIG welding on frames, and a lot of MIG welding on sheetmetal. The claim in the video is that it's easier to TIG weld in different orientations...I disagree. MIG is easier imo. The benefit to TIB welding sheetmetal is the smaller weld bead, and some claim that it's a softer weld that can be worked easily. I don't know why that would be the case, but I haven't seen clear evidence either way.

warren57
06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I weld nearly everything with my tig, thick and thin. Having foot pedal control allows my old eyes to keep up!!

Rick_L
06-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Warren, do you realize that this thread is a year old?

I agree with Chevynut's comments on tig vs. mig. For most cases it's tough to weld sheetmetal on the car with tig, because it's harder to do out of position welds than with mig. Tig also requires a better fit. I do it where I can, the rest is mig.

As far as a weld bead that's easier to grind and finish, tig is better when it's a smaller bead. And it is when done right. The difficulty with mig is you often have a big lump of weld bead/filler. Not that it's harder than tig, just the volume of metal.

Mig beads are smaller when the fit is better and the skill/technique is better. They still won't be as small as an excellent tig bead.

567chevys
06-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I also Tig most stuff , having a foot Pedal and a high frequency unit makes it very easy .
It's also just depends on what one is used to.

Thanks Sid