PDA

View Full Version : Floor pan

smooth 56
06-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Getting ready to put a floor pan in the old 55 that I have just started on .Was wandering what you guy's use to cut the old one out with.Also going to be replacing lower quarter panel's,will a plasma worp the metal?

567chevys
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Smooth 56
I have aways used a plasma ,seems to cut clean and fast and cool

chevynut
06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
I used a plasma cutter and a die grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. I cut a lot of things with my die grinder and a 1/32" thick 3" diameter wheel...works great.

smooth 56
06-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Was kind of hopeing to get away from the grinder for a while,had one of those cutting disc's to come apart on me the outher knight hurt like hell left a good mark on me and the wall lol.Just a little gun shy of the grinder right now lol.

chevynut
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
If you're talking about a 4" grinder, smooth, I agree. They are good for some things, but not others. I never use them as cutoff saws.

Buy yourself an Ingersoll Rand 90 degree die grinder (or a cheapie from HF) and some 1/32" cutting discs. In many years I've never had them come apart and do any damage. They're pretty light, so they don't shatter like the 1/8" or thicker discs that are used on electric grinders do. The only downside is that you need a compressor.

I actually had pretty good luck with a $9.99 die grinder from HF that someone gave to me for doing work for them. The 1/16" discs they carry don't cut anywhere near as good as the 1/32" thick ones.

smooth 56
06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Yep cnevy it was a 4" thet's the first time that has happend been doin this a long time.Man that hit me so hard I thought it stuck in my gut was afraid to look until I seen the pice laying at my feet lol.Lesson learned!

567chevys
06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi smooth56

Take a look at these items , Its the safest way for a 3" cut off wheel , This die grinder can only be used with a cut off wheel . It has a fixed shaft . The other picture is a arbor that goes into a 1/4" die grinder kind of neat it will take a 1/4" and 3/8" ID cut off wheel
These items are sold by harbor freight , the cut off die grinder is like $10 bucks and will work just fine for you the only thing is you will need air, They also sell electric die grinders
Good Luck

smooth 56
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi smooth56

Take a look at these items , Its the safest way for a 3" cut off wheel , This die grinder can only be used with a cut off wheel . It has a fixed shaft . The other picture is a arbor that goes into a 1/4" die grinder kind of neat it will take a 1/4" and 3/8" ID cut off wheel
These items are sold by harbor freight , the cut off die grinder is like $10 bucks and will work just fine for you the only thing is you will need air, They also sell electric die grinders
Good Luck

Thank's for the info Sid was just there today bought a new welder don't know why I didn't look for something like that,one track mind I guess lol.

chevynut
06-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't like a straight shaft die grinder. I much prefer a 90-degree one, because it's a lot easier to control and it seems to me I can get into a lot more spots with it. I have both styles, but use the 90 degree one a lot more. I have 3-4 Ingersoll-Rand 90-degree ones and one straight one from HF.

Bakins
08-05-2012, 04:44 PM
For what it's worth, been playing with some scrap metal and trying to cut anything straight with a cut-off tool is damn near impossible. Using 1/32 discs, etc. Gonna try the die grinder next - I bought a full face shield today just in case ;)

Rick_L
08-05-2012, 07:24 PM
You should always use big goggle safety glasses or one of those shields with any of these tools.

I use both the straight and 90º air die grinders. They each have their advatantages and disadvantages for a particular cut. Or for grinding and sanding, same way. I need both.

chevynut
08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I think you'll find that the 90 degree die grinder is a lot easier to control than the straight one. I can cut a really straight line freehand with mine.

smooth 56
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
I alway's use saftey goggles thought about getting a bullit prouf vest lol.Do they make a die grinder that is elictric?