PDA

View Full Version : Truck door hinges

chevynut
07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Could one of you tell me the thickness and width of the tri5 truck hinges? Also, what all years do they fit?

BAM55
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Could one of you tell me the thickness and width of the tri5 truck hinges? Also, what all years do they fit?

As for the thickness and width I will measure one when I go home and get back to you. As to what years they fit 55-59.

The cabs are exactly the same from 55-59 and so are the door hinges, only the front sheetmetal changed in 58-59. The 1957 year had very minor changes such as spears on the hood, and the grille which caused minor changes in the fenders an upper and lower grill support panels. The In 58-59 the complete front end is different and they also offered the truck in a fleetside.

Once again I will get the measurements for you when I get home.

BAM55
07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Okay the base of hinge is 4 3/8 deep (the part that goes into the cabs hinge pocket) and its 2 3/8 wide. The part that bolts to the cab is 5 3/16 wide with the center of the holes about 4 1/2 inches wide. The arm (the part that goes into the door)is about 5 1/2 inches long and 1 3/4 wide after the curve.

chevynut
07-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Bam! You got me more than I needed....EXCEPT for the thickness. I'm interested in the thichness in the curved portion. It looks like the width is pretty constant at 1 3/4" from door to cab.

Also, is thre a left and a right? Are the upper and lower the same?

Do you have any extra pairs? I'm considering offering these modified like my car hinges so you can run wires through them.

BAM55
07-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks Bam! You got me more than I needed....EXCEPT for the thickness. I'm interested in the thichness in the curved portion. It looks like the width is pretty constant at 1 3/4" from door to cab.

Also, is thre a left and a right? Are the upper and lower the same?

Do you have any extra pairs? I'm considering offering these modified like my car hinges so you can run wires through them.

I was wondering by thickness did you mean metal thickness. I can get that for you when I get to house tonite. If all you are doing is modifying them for wires you will have no issues they are thick. I plan of doing that mod myself . They are the same as far as right and left but the do have an upper and a lower. The upper and the lower looks exactly the same except that the upper hinge has a piece of metal sandwiching the hinge, the lower one does not.

I don't have a extra pair sorry but what your planning to do will work fine.

chevynut
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, I was referring to metal thickness. The car hinges are about 1/2" thick.

lsn't the bolt pattern different right and left? It is on car hinges.

BAM55
07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, I was referring to metal thickness. The car hinges are about 1/2" thick.

lsn't the bolt pattern different right and left? It is on car hinges.

I think the thickness of the truck are about the same but I will measure it for you to be sure.

About the right or left hinges the hinges are not left and right but they are upper and lower. For verification go here and you will notice the ad says left or right upper hinge. http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DHU5559

BAM55
07-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Hey Chevynut I measured the thickness for you and its a 1/2 inch just like the car hinges. I hope that helps.

chevynut
07-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks Bam

567chevys
07-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey Cnut

Are you thinking of making truck door hinges ?

Sid

chevynut
07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes Sid, I am, but I'm only modifying them for wiring. Seems like there's a market. I had local guy tell me he would like some for his truck.