PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer, odometer and clock not working

dclm
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Hello, I am having trouble with the speedometer, odometer and clock in my 57. None of them work. The tem gauge seems to be working and the fuel gauge sort of works. What should I look for to fix my problems? Any help is appreciated.

Run-em
07-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Clocks have a points set up to rewind, Might clean with points file.

Speedometer/odometer could be not plugged in to transmission, missing gear on end of drive cable, broken cable drive, stripped gears in housing.

TR1957
09-21-2013, 06:56 AM
two very different questions. The speedometer is connected with a mechanical cable to the transmission. the cable is driven by a gear where it connects to the inside of the transmission. If the speedometer works, the cable should be fine and the problem is with the odometer but you said above both aren't working. So it could be the drive shaft from the transmission. When the car is in motion, the transmission gear spins and twists the flexible shaft inside the cable. This is attached to the back of the speedometer. When the shaft is rotating in part it drives the odometer. I would first make sure the shaft is spinning in the cable. If you can, remove the cable from the back of the speedometer and move the car. If you see if rotate, the problem is in the speedometer. If not, the problem is the with the cable or the drive gear. To inspect the drive gear, follow the shaft to where it connects to the transmission and unscrew the cap. Then you pull the gear out of the transmission and inspect it. Either that or the cable itself may be broken or both. // the clock is a different story. First you should check to see if power is going to the back of the clock. If it is, the problem is with the clock mechanism. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are if there is power going to the clock the problem could be with the rewind mechanism. Not always but highly likely. If you are comfortable taking the clock apart you will discover as Run-em stated, there is a set of points or contact which energizes a solenoid about every 2 minutes or so. When the solenoid is energized by the contacts completing the circuit, it pushes a rewind mechanism and keeps the clock running. This is the sound you hear in the dash from the clock now and then. The contacts can very oxidized and corroded which will prevent it from completing the circuit to energize the solenoid. the solution is to polish the contacts to remove the corrosion. If this is more challenging I would find someone who rebuilds the 57 clock or get a replacement. I happen to be rebuilding mine at the moment so here's picture where the contacts are inside the clock. 2424