PDA

View Full Version : Lizard Skin spray on sound & heat deadners...

Run-em
07-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Has anyone had experience with these products? Good/bad ?

Would you choose these again?

Rick_L
07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
A friend of mine used some in a panel truck he built. He used a very large amount, of course the panel truck had a lot of sheet metal. My thought was that the thickness he ended up with after spending a lot of money did not produce the results I'd want from spending that much. My evaluation was not all that scientiific, it was just a "thump test". I couldn't tell much difference. He ended up using a bunch of Dynamat type stuff too, so the vehicle is pretty good - but there's no way to tell which one did how much.

A lot of people think it's great. And it might be if you can afford to put it on thick enough. That will cost you a lot of $$$.

Run-em
07-27-2012, 10:04 PM
So you think the use of both spray and mat would be the way to go? I'm mostly trying to kill the TEXAS heat, but sound deadening would be nice also.

Want to use the "skin" on the hidden side of removable exterior panels, so as to not hold moisture & possibly start rust.

chevynut
07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I agree with Rick. I personally think the stuff is too thin to do much good as a sound-deadener. You need mass like you get with Dynamat-type products to dampen sound. It may work fine to reflect heat, I don't know. Using both seems like a waste of money.

Run-em
07-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Found info on how to make your own ceramic heat insulation paint. Going to make some and test it.

reborn55
08-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Any one used peel and seal product found at Lowe's? Been looking at various products out there. Seems to be close to Dynamat. Getting ready to add A/C and rewire the 55(guess I will keep the car for a while longer)--thought it might be a good time to redo the insulation.

56-210Sedan
08-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Any one used peel and seal product found at Lowe's? Been looking at various products out there. Seems to be close to Dynamat. Getting ready to add A/C and rewire the 55(guess I will keep the car for a while longer)--thought it might be a good time to redo the insulation.

In my experience researching this product is make sure you know what the make up of the product is, some are asphalt/tar based and can cause your ride to have that smell, also know what kind of adhesiveness the product it has, as you do not want to install a product and have it fall down (head liner) or come loose later on. Here is a older thread on the subject http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi but can get you started in your search, go to Google and type in sound deadener show down and it will bring up other links as well.

reborn55
08-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Thanks--have read some posts where others have used peel and seal with good results--just trying to get as many pros and cons as possible as everyone seems to be using dynamat and fatmat---peel and seal is much more affordable. Is tar based and smell concern is something to look at. I have some insualtion down now but I put it in after carpet install and has created some fit problems. I am not going to go overboard with thes material--just redo the floors and probably in the doors.

56-210Sedan
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
I have not used them but Raamat sounds like decent product comparable to fatmat and dynamat, also sounds like they are a family owned company but i can not confirm that as well, i know not much solid input, sorry.

Here is a reply i received some time ago from dynamat, although it does not go directly to your question it may give you some input.

"
Thank you for your interest in our products.

To reduce noise and heat, 2 products are required for the best results. We recommend Xtreme first followed by an application of our ½ inch Dynaliner. Xtreme will reduce the “rings and Pings” and resonations in the sheet metal. The Dynaliner over the Xtreme will reduce some low frequency noise at will also help to reduce heat.

We have found however, that heat is not a big problem in the trunk; it is more noise from exhaust and tire noise. Most of our customers will use our DynaPad in the trunk over the Xtreme to reduce as much airborne noise as possible. DynaPad uses a vinyl sound barrier in between 2 open cell foams to help block unwanted road noise and exhaust noise. Dynaliner will work best on the firewall and toe board/trans tunnel area where engine/header heat is an issue. Please also keep in mind that our Xtreme can and should be place in all areas of the vehicle to make the vehicle as quiet as possible.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Technical Solutions
Dynamat
www.dynamat.com (http://www.dynamat.com)"