PDA

View Full Version : Buying tools online

Bakins
07-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Other than big box stores, my choice of "tool stores" is slim to none. Well, shipping can be cheaper than the gas money... Homer Despot, Lows, etc, have a rather limited selection and tend to push their store brand. I buy some stuff from Amazon, but was wondering if you guys buy tools online and, if so, from where.

chevynut
07-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I've bought stuff from TP Tools, Tooltopia, and a few others. I have had no problems with any of them and got good prices.

Rick_L
07-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Are you looking for hand tools, power tools, specialty tools?

There are many good sources out there, depends on what you're looking for. There's even some good buys at Harbor Freight, though not often.

Bakins
07-28-2012, 06:01 AM
I've bought stuff from TP Tools,

I've bought a couple of odds and ends from TP Tools.

Are you looking for hand tools, power tools, specialty tools?

Mostly the specialty stuff, but also things like air tools. I've bought stuff from Northern tool (I have one semi local, so if I'm ever up that way I stop in) but for "name brand" things, they seem to have higher prices. I've gotten burned by Harbor freight too many times - maybe I just have bad luck, but I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last.

5Clint7
07-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Most of my hand tools are Snap-on and MAC. Thats because the tool trucks came by every payday at the dealership. Go figure. I have some Craftsmans tools too. They use to make some good tools, but they've changed them so much I don't like them now. They made the sockets and boxed end wrenches so thick you can't get them in a tight place anymore. Another thing when I took some back for replacement they said they had been discontinued. I guess it was not my lifetime warranty, but theirs.

Clint

warren57
08-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Well, in years past it was hard to beat Sears in quality and warranty (lifetime, no questions asked) although price wasn't always the cheapest. Now their tools are China like a lot of others. I believe they still have a lifetime warranty, but so does Harbor Freek (or is that horror freight) I noticed HF has two qualities of most items now. I'm guessing the inexpensive China village and the more expensive China city. I've had good luck with Stanley.
It really all depends on budget.
X3 on tp tools.