PDA

View Full Version : 55 chevy power steering

dans55
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I am trying to install original style power steering on my 55 wagon. using newer saginaw pump and original 55 power valve and cylinder. after purging air out of system,then starting the motor,the steering goes berserk.it wildly turns left to right on its own.the only way to stop it is to shut off the motor. what is causing this?

Run-em
08-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Dang, that is a head scratcher! Haven't found an answer for you yet. Will keep trying.

Tabasco
08-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Here is a link. He sells power steering, but he is good to give advice to anyone wherever they bought theirs. call him or e-mail him. www.chevyps.com/

Rick_L
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Usually when something like this happens, you have the pressure line and the return line reversed. Check that out.

dans55
08-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Usually when something like this happens, you have the pressure line and the return line reversed. Check that out.

@a couple of people suggested that,but the lines have different size fittings.not possible to reverse. thx for your response...

567chevys
08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Hey Dan

Check out this link , Like it says it not the steering box has to be a check valve or something
Sid

http://www.isomedia.com/homes/benzspg/powrster.htm

Rick_L
08-05-2012, 07:37 PM
"not possible to reverse."

Unless they built the lines wrong. Easy enough to check out.

dans55
08-02-2015, 08:53 AM
This happened to me exactly the same way. Turned out I had the pressure and return lines reversed.

reggiej
07-26-2017, 10:47 AM
This happened to me exactly the same way. Turned out I had the pressure and return lines reversed.

I'm new here so I have a question about power steering problems. I bought my 55 Chevy 210 from a guy who had installed after market power steering. It has a leak somewhere around the mount, the column actually sways back and forth as I cut the wheel thus working the lines loose. He just has three bolts ran through the wheel well shouldn't these have nuts on the bolts? Thanks for any help and please understand I am new at this.

BamaNomad
07-26-2017, 08:35 PM
The steering gear should have 3 long bolts attaching it to the FRAME of the car (with nuts on the other end of the bolts) unless I'm going nuts.. :)

If the column is 'moving' as you steer it, then the column is not secured well enough to the bottom of the dash and the firewall...

reggiej
07-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Don't mean to bomb this post but I'm new at this so forgive me. My after market power steering box is moving away from the frame bolts, does anyone have any solutions for this? thanks.

BamaNomad
07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
The steering box itself should NOT move (relative to the frame) IF it is properly bolted to the frame... Check the bolts/nuts and make sure they are tightened securely.. It should have 3 long bolts securing it to the frame...

Rick_L
07-29-2017, 07:24 PM
What kind of steering box? I have seen a very bad installation of the original old school way to install a 605 box, where the box moved around a bunch - and was a huge hazard.

BamaNomad
07-29-2017, 07:28 PM
What kind of steering box? I have seen a very bad installation of the original old school way to install a 605 box, where the box moved around a bunch - and was a huge hazard.

You're probably referring to the 'first/original' method of cutting the lower part of the original box and 'integrating' with the base 605 box'?? I can't recall how they mechanically coupled the upper part of the box to the lower part of the box (original steering shaft) and the lower part was the portion attached to the frame. Was the upper part of the box attached to the frame at all? or only via the internal gearing??

Rick_L
07-30-2017, 05:57 AM
That type of conversion didn't have the upper box connected mechanically to the lower box except through the sector shaft. A correct installation had a bracket welded to the frame, and the box was bolted to it with 2 bolts. If not there, the box would try to rotate with the reaction of the steering, and the rag joint was the only thing restraining it. Some boxes didn't use a welded bracket, but had a plate that picked up the 3 lower bolts and the 2 upper bolts. If any of this came loose, it was a dangerous situation that could fail the rag joint.

BamaNomad
07-30-2017, 10:35 PM
THAT is a crappy situation, and perhaps is what the OP here in this thread was complaining about...

reggiej
08-24-2017, 12:49 PM
BamaNomad sorry for my late response but I didn't get any notification. The guy I bought it from just ran the column straight through the firewall. I also noticed today that the two piece frame has split a little. Any suggestions about this? In this area it is next to impossible to find anyone who will work on it. Thanks so much.

reggiej
08-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Rick_L I was told it is a CPP500 box but from what I've seen it isn't. It has a silver or chrome (dull sort of) ring around the top of what I think is the pump the 500's I've looked at online doesn't. I really need to get this fixed because it worries me. I noticed today that the frame is split, would that let it flex this much? Can a piece of reinforcement be welded to it to make it more secure if this is the problem? From what you've said I am starting to think it's because it isn't secured through the firewall. Any suggestions? thanks so much, sorry for the late response I didn't get a notice about it.

reggiej
08-24-2017, 12:55 PM
The steering box itself should NOT move (relative to the frame) IF it is properly bolted to the frame... Check the bolts/nuts and make sure they are tightened securely.. It should have 3 long bolts securing it to the frame...

Yes it does have the three bolts running through the frame and when I checked them they seemed secure but as I said below it has not been secured to the firewall it (the column) just comes through it.

markm
08-25-2017, 06:00 AM
Rick_L I was told it is a CPP500 box but from what I've seen it isn't. It has a silver or chrome (dull sort of) ring around the top of what I think is the pump the 500's I've looked at online doesn't. I really need to get this fixed because it worries me. I noticed today that the frame is split, would that let it flex this much? Can a piece of reinforcement be welded to it to make it more secure if this is the problem? From what you've said I am starting to think it's because it isn't secured through the firewall. Any suggestions? thanks so much, sorry for the late response I didn't get a notice about it.

If it has an dull aluminum top round held in place with a snap ring its a 605 box. The fix for those is a 500 box. They were junk in their OEM 78 Malibu application even worse when customized for other applications.

reggiej
08-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Thank you BamaNomad, sorry for my very late response. My car is in the shop now but I don't have much hope of them fixing it. No one around here seems to know what to do. Is there anything like a collar for the column where it comes through the firewall? thanks.

reggiej
08-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Thank you markm. I was pretty sure it was a 605 and he probably got it off ebay which I'm not sure I would trust much of anything from there.

reggiej
08-25-2017, 10:42 AM
BamaNomad do you know if I could possibly get a collar or whatever to go over the steering column where it comes through the firewall? I hope my replies are showing up, I'm not sure they are.

markm
08-25-2017, 12:13 PM
put "55 Chevy steering column mount " in an ebay search and get 70 plus choices.

chevynut
08-25-2017, 01:13 PM
BamaNomad do you know if I could possibly get a collar or whatever to go over the steering column where it comes through the firewall?

If you have a local salvage yard or can go to a local swap meet, you should be able to find one. Here's the link to the assembly manual showing what to look for.

http://www.55-57chevys.com/tech/55/9-5.gif

BamaNomad
08-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Eckler's Chevy also has some 'used original parts', such as this firewall steering column clamp... and other original and repro parts...

http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-lower-steering-column-to-firewall-bracket-used-1955-1957.html

markm
08-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Never ran a 605 but with a 500 and a rag joint there is no space for a stock lower mount. I believe the same is true for 605.

Rick_L
08-26-2017, 10:40 AM
That would be true. You either need to make one or buy a commercial one made for the application. The mount needs to be on the passenger compartment side - original is on the engine side, and there's no room for it.

reggiej
08-26-2017, 11:18 AM
The steering gear should have 3 long bolts attaching it to the FRAME of the car (with nuts on the other end of the bolts) unless I'm going nuts.. :)

If the column is 'moving' as you steer it, then the column is not secured well enough to the bottom of the dash and the firewall...

I've responded to this several times but they don't seem to be showing up. My steering unit has the three bolts but no nuts on them. I hope this is seen if not I'm not sure what to do. Thank you

reggiej
08-26-2017, 11:22 AM

The column has no support at all at the rag joint on the firewall. I'm wondering if I buy a stock collar (goes around the column, not sure what it's called) if it will then support the column and stop this problem. For all of you who have responded to my question I have replied back but they don't seem to be getting posted for some reason but thank you very much.

reggiej
08-26-2017, 11:26 AM
You're probably referring to the 'first/original' method of cutting the lower part of the original box and 'integrating' with the base 605 box'?? I can't recall how they mechanically coupled the upper part of the box to the lower part of the box (original steering shaft) and the lower part was the portion attached to the frame. Was the upper part of the box attached to the frame at all? or only via the internal gearing??

The guy I got it from just removed the stock steering box and "tried" to install what appears to be a 605 box in it's place but it has no support at the firewall side for the column would this cause this movement? It is attached to the frame with three long bolts but it pulls away from the frame. From the inside of the car he has a shim under the column which moves when the wheel is turned.

BamaNomad
08-26-2017, 08:54 PM
If it's the steering wheel/column that is 'moving around', it probably doesn't have the necessary support ... If it couple by a rag joint to the steering gear, then you will need firm support for the column both at the dash, and as it goes thru the firewall... With those two points of support, the column should be fixed in position...

reggiej
08-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks markm I'll try that.