PDA

View Full Version : Need Instructions For Re-Calibrating "Custom Rod Gauges" Instrument Cluster

lightman45
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a "Custom Rod Gauges" instrument cluster in my '55 Chevy, it was in car when I purchased, so I don't have any instructions. I changed ring gear and pinion and now need to re-calibrate speedometer. Can someone please help me with instructions for re-calibrating this speedometer, or even better if someone could send me a copy of the installation manual with these instructions. I e-mailed the company but no answer. I also called the contact number but got recording that it is no longer a working number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

chevynut
08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I have heard that the customer support from the company is really bad on these gauges, and that they're not very reliable. I can't help you with the re-calibration process, but I imagine it has something to do with driving a mile and counting the pulses from the speedo sender. Maybe someone here has the instructions.

chevynut
08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Found this for ya...I read that the speedo they use is actually a VDO.

http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-051.pdf

Let us know how it goes. :)

lightman45
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I contacted VDO and they sent me the same instructions. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will work. Thanks again.

Run-em
08-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Dang, back before there were more than 3 elements in the periodic table (earth,wind,fire) -- we used to have an adjustable screw on the speedometer's sending unit coming out of the transmission. In retrospect, "how quaint".

Rick_L
08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Lightman45, you're everywhere!

Herb
12-12-2019, 09:09 AM
I just bought a 55 Chevy and need the instruction for setting the gas gauge for a set of custom rod gauges.
when i tried to contact them it looks like they are out of business