PDA

View Full Version : missing emergency brakes on rear axles.

warren57
09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Why is it every differential housing has all the emergency brake parts gone? I have three complete units I've picked up over time and every one of them has no emergency brake parts.
Was there something wrong in the design or were most wore out? Wonder what there thought was on having an emergency brake?
Does anyone sell some sort of complete kit in the aftermarket word or is it a piece by piece thing?

chevynut
09-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Warren, I threw away a bunch of those pieces some time ago, because I didn't think anyone would ever need them. I think I have a couple of rearends with the e-brake stuff still on them. What parts do you need?

warren57
09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I basically have cables that have been cut in front of the backing plate, a hole in each backing plate where the e-brake cable would go in. nothing else. Inside the drums are the wheel cylinders, brake lining, and fasteners. No e-brake parts. Appreciate you taking time to look through your "stuff"...

chevynut
09-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Warren, if you don't find those parts in a couple of weeks, get ahold of me. I'm back from NM but leaving for MT on Monday, I think.

warren57
09-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks, will do. How's the hunting going?

chevynut
09-23-2012, 07:37 AM
We are back in town for a couple of days after a week in NM. We hunted an area with very few elk and which was our third choice in the NM drawing. We got into elk the first morning we were there by tracking them early in the morning for about two miles. We set up and I called him in, but we weren't able to get a shot at him. He was only 30 yards away, but the pinions and junipers are thick there so I could only see parts of him. We didn't hear ANY bugling, which they should be doing by mid-September. I got video of a big bull on a water tank on Sunday so I sat in a ground blind on it for two days and never saw him again. We had trail cameras on most of the water sources in 20 square miles and we couldn't get any more elk to show up.

On the last evening we moved our camp about 20 miles and tried a different area....again we got into elk, but they saw my brother getting set up as they came into a waterhole that evening....he was 5 minutes too late. It was a hot, dry, tough hunt with nothing to show for it but we saw 6 tarantulas, a few nice mule deer, some rabbits, and a couple of elk.

Oh, and I trashed my utility trailer when I hit a big hole that some moron dug and left in the left track of a two-track road near our camp. It was dark and I didn't see it when I hit it at about 15 mph. It bent the left wheel, broke the clearance light off, twisted the hitch, and bent the axle. The strap holding the coolers on it snapped, and coolers flew off the trailer. Thankfully it appears that my truck survived it okay. We were still able to make it home with a '56 frame (we delivered a C4 frame to ABQ) and our coolers strapped to the trailer, but now I have some repairs to make.

We're re-grouping our gear today and heading for a 2-week hunt in Montana on Monday. Hopefully the elk will cooperate better there.

warren57
09-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Good luck in Montana. Watch out for those "end of the World" radical groups. If they see you coming with a gun they may think you're the government and start shooting back!!

chevynut
10-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Good luck in Montana. Watch out for those "end of the World" radical groups. If they see you coming with a gun they may think you're the government and start shooting back!!

To be honest with you, I would trust the "end of the world" groups more than I trust the government. I was in Jordan, Montana where the Freemen were, and the folks there are some of the nicest I've ever met. They're down to earth conservatives that believe you should work for what you get, and want the government virtually out of their personal lives....like I do. Those who suck off the government tit while they do nothing wouldn't like it up there.

I don't hunt with a gun much, but it would be more welcome up there than an Obama sticker. LOL!!