PDA

View Full Version : Removing stainless 56 How to?

george234
09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi, New owner of 56 BelAir 4 dr.
Need to paint but first need to remove stainless, around windows and doors..

Is there a link or place I can go to help me with information , how to remove the stainless trim
The side pieces are held on with bolts

Thanks
george Portage, In

chevynut
09-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi George and welcome to the site. I don't know if there's a place with any instructions, but the belAir side trim uses clips with threaded studs. The beltline trim has a few screws, and some clips that just push into some holes in the body. Remove all the screws, nuts, etc. and then see if you can carefully pry the trim off. I think the C-pillar trim has a stud that goes into the trunk area at the bottom of the c-pillar. The windshield trim comes off by taking the wiper escutcheons off, then the lower trim, then the corner trim pieces. You can't take the upper windshield trim off without removing the windshield.

56-210Sedan
09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
George it is pretty much straight forward, just be careful/patient and remove equally across the stainless do not force it, you will find clips and some that have nuts on the the back side. On the front window take a look up in each corner of the dash area (flash light is helpful) you will find a nut in each corner that has to be removed before you can start on the rest, then go and remove the rear view mirror and the the rest of the interior garnish around the window, same for the back, now you can cut the rubber seal with a utility knife but i find that two screw drivers work much better, starting at the top take the screw drivers and start in the center and work your way to a corner rolling the rubber out of the pinch weld then go to the other direction and until you get to the opposite corner then the front windshield should push right out with lower moldings attached and in place, do not forget to remove A pillar stainless as well you will have small screws on the inside door jamb and may want to soak with kroil oil or pb blaster etc... On the rear window it is the same look up in the bottom corners of the inside of the trunk each corner will have a nut that you need to remove first. Please post back on actually what window stainless you are actually removing as well as the location of the other stainless areas that will help us assist you rather then having to type out each piece since it sounds like you are not removing all of it. Like i said earlier get rid of the gorilla suit ;) because forcing the removal or installation of stainless and you are going to have a bad day, Good Luck and get back if you need help, there is a lot of typing i could do but it is easier to help with each individual piece.

Rick_L
09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
The trim around the door windows has small tabs that are fastened with sheet metal screws. There are also screws holding the window trim at the top of the doors. Keep probing and looking for more screws, there are quite a few. Once you have all these out, there are push in clips also. Prying with a screwdriver or better yet a putty knife will release them. If they defy this, look for more screws.

The shop manual shows where the screws/clips are on the front windshield trim. You can find the shop manual online, but a print copy is much better, as the figures don't do well with the online copy. You'll need the shop manual for dozens of other things, get a print copy.

Most of the side trim is fastened by clips that have studs on the back. You may have to work to get access. All that effort is worth it, as there's usually surface rust as a minimum under the trim. Maybe pits or holes even. You need to fix it all.

slowfinger
12-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Rick_L, How would a hot rodder remove the chrome around the window flap door on a hard top 56 car?

markm
12-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Remove for restoration or perminantly. It has screws upward into roof, but deleting it woukd be beyond me. I have never seen that done on a HT.

slowfinger
01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
You missed understood us....The chrome on door just below the window flap? removing for restoration paint and sanding. Geo.

mlcain
07-16-2015, 06:43 PM
1956 Chevrolet 2 door Hardtop....... how do I remove stainless trim moldings between the roof and the quarter glass...... Thanks