PDA

View Full Version : Need some 57 hood measurements

chevynut
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Can anyone tell me what the distance is between the front and rear hood hinge bolt centers ON THE HOOD of a '57? Also, what is the overall width of the hood at about the firewall?

I have a 57 I could measure, but it's 45 minutes away. Any help would be appreciated.

56-210Sedan
10-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Laszlo, if you have not received anything over night, I have one (57 Hood) i can take a look at, it is in storage but closer then 45 minutes for sure;).

Bakins
10-13-2012, 05:01 AM
My hoods in storage as well out back. I can dig it out if needed.

chevynut
10-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Still don't have the measurements, and I'm trying to get my son to measure the hood on the car over at his place but haven't been able to get ahold of him. If one of you could measure yours to cross-check, I would appreciate it. Seems like there should be some 57 owners here who could measure theirs in a couple of minutes.

To be clear, I want the measurements ACROSS the hood, from bolt centers to bolt centers (two measurements there). I am trying to figure out the distance between the hinge brackets on the hood. Also, the distance between bolt centers on one hinge might help, as well as the width of the hood at about the center of the hinges. I found a factory spec for a fender-to-fender measurement there of 45.56" and the hood should be about 1/4" to 3/8" narrower so that measurement isn't as critical.

While I'm asking, the bolt spacing across the firewall could be helpful at some point too. ;)

jim '57
10-13-2012, 11:41 AM
The rear measurement of my hood, point to point is 45 3/8.
Don't understand the front and rear hood hinge bolt, mine bolt only at the rear, to firewall there are three bolts there two from inside a one from outside.
Jim
I see the distance from front to back hole on the hood is 6 inches.

chevynut
10-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. Sounds like your 45 3/8" measurement is consistent with the factory spec and would leave a gap of about .093" per side if the fenders were set to the factory spec width of 45 9/16". I think the sides of the hood on a 57 are close to parallel most of the way forward.

What I meant is that the hood is bolted to the hood hinges in two locations per hinge, using 2 bolts per hinge. I'd like the measurement from the center of the rear bolt on the driver's side hinge to the center of the rear bolt on the passenger side hinge. Same for the front bolt if the measurement isn't the same (they aren't on a 56). Hope that's more clear.

jim '57
10-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Measuring from the rear bolt on the hood, the one that bolts to the hinge, to the bolt on the other side is 42 1/4 " the front is 41".
Jim

chevynut
10-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks a bunch Jim! Now I have to design those 57 hood hinges. ;)

chevynut
10-16-2012, 07:37 AM
A couple more measurements I could use.....

1) The distance between the hood hinge bolt holes on the firewall on a 57 (driver's side to passenger side).

2) The distance from the firewall FORWARD to the rear bolt hole on the hood. I think this measurement could be taken on a loose hinge in the down position, or on a car with the hinge mounted on the firewall but no hood on it. I have several 55-56 hinges, but no 57 hinges.

3) The distance from the back corner of the hood forward to the rear hinge bolt hole.

If my shop was finished, I would have my 57 4-door up here to measure. Still have a ways to go on it, but hope to have it closed up soon.

chevynut
10-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Nobody to help out? :)

56-210Sedan
10-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Sorry my friend, i only have the hood.

chevynut
10-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Sorry my friend, i only have the hood.

Well you could get measurement #3 for me if it's not too much trouble. :)

56-210Sedan
10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Well you could get measurement #3 for me if it's not too much trouble. :)

No trouble at all :rolleyes: i measured from the corner of the hood (not the point) and got a measurement of 3" in the center of the rear bolt hole.

chevynut
10-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks Marty....not sure what you mean by "corner of the hood (not the point)". Can you explain? What is the "corner"?

I was looking for the measurement from the outside rear corners forward to the rear hinge bolt hole. So if you put a straightedge across the two corners and measure from the straightedge straight forward to the hole that's what I need.

Warren brought me a hinge today so I think I got the rest of the measurements I needed.

56-210Sedan
10-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Laszlo, just on the inside of the hood ( underneath area) is a rolled corner i took a measurement from there because it follows the edge of the hood that goes along the cowl area.