PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar rates

chevynut
10-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have any knowledge about how to select swaybar spring rates? I have a solid 30mm (~1 3/16") diameter C4 Corvette Z51 swaybar in front, and a solid 1" diameter custom swaybar I had made for me in the rear of my car. The arm length in the rear is shorter than a stock C4 swaybar. I don't know the rates, and I know that depends on the arm length and swaybar length....I can calculate them.

The C4 Corvettes had a few different diameter swaybars on them depending on swaybar option, and some were hollow while some were solid. The diameters ranged from 24mm to 30mm in front, and 20mm to 26mm in the rear. I can't find any information about the rates for them.

I've been looking at some of the NASCAR-type splined swaybars as an alternative but I wouldn't know where to start with the spring rates. Any suggested reading, tables, etc? Is this all trial and error, or is there some way to calculate the optimum rates based on car weight in front and rear?

Rick_L
10-21-2012, 04:14 PM
The swaybar "rate" is a combination of the torsional stiffness of the lateral portion of the bar, and the bending stiffness of the arms. Then you have to convert to spring rate at the wheel based on where the sway bar link is mounted. I've never seen any compilation of sway bar rates or recommendations. If there were such a thing, I'd think the place to go look would be pro-touring.com. The other thing is that the total roll stiffness is the spring rate at the wheel plus the sway bar equivalent spring rate at the wheel.

I'm afraid that you'll have to calculate everything yourself to take it to the level you desire.

chevynut
10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.