PDA

View Full Version : Headed to north-central Kansas

chevynut
11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Going to Kansas tomorrow for a week of bowhunting whitetails with my hunting partner. Unfortunately, it looks like we lost a 300 acre property that I hunted last year and saw some big bucks on. I ended up with a buck that I culled out of the herd, but the big ones eluded me. I had a nice 10-point right at the base of my tree, but he presented no shot....LOL!

Hopefully we'll find some deer on some of the other property we hunt on. :)

Any of you had any luck hunting this year?

smooth 56
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Good luck chevynut leaving in about an hour for my farm in middle TN.Going to do it the easy way black powder is open.lol During archery season we have a fall turkey season got my first turkey with my bow 2 week's ago. Been trying to get one with a bow for a long time the little bastard's are hard to kill with a bow lol.No deer yet but that will change soon I hope.

chevynut
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Congrats on the bow-killed turkey! I shot one with my bow several years ago. The weird thing is that when I got it, I couldn't find an arrow hole in it!! Maybe it had a heart attack when the arrow sailed over its head. LOL!

Good luck this weekend! I'll have e-mail access while I'm there, so if I get some pics I'll try to post.

chevynut
11-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Pretty good first morning. At 7:10AM a doe walked in and I shot her at 13 yards...right through the heart. She ran off and collapsed in an open field maybe 60-80 yards away, and 2 minutes later a coyote was on her trying to eat her hind end. I scared him off by whistling and waving. 20 minutes later a forkhorn buck appeared 10 yards behind my stand...I slowly reached for my bow (didn't want to shoot him) and saw another much bigger buck behind him maybe 10 yards away. They both walked directly behind my tree, about 5 yards from the base. When they got to my right, the big buck stopped at 17 yards quartering away pretty hard. I wanted to shoot, but he looked up at me, then both of them looked to my left. I couldn't draw, because I know he would have seen me and I was a little uncertain about the shot angle but I think I should have tried anyhow. Now they're directly downwind of me...they either smelled me or the blood from the doe, but they trotted up out of the draw and took off. A few minutes later the small buck was standing over my doe and smelling her. The coyote came back and the buck ran him off....LOL! The buck stuck around for quite a while checking the doe out...I think he wanted her. LOL! I had to chase the danged coyote off 4 times before I got to the doe, but he still pulled a lot of hair out of her rear.

Fun morning. Hopefully I'll have another chance at that bigger buck this week. I think he had 4 points plus a small drop tine coming from the base on the left, but only a forkhorn and a brow tine on the right...but he was really heavy-antlered. I think he was an old buck.

Hope you're having fun too smooth!!

chevynut
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Smooth, how did your hunt go? We ended up with 4 deer, 2 bucks and 2 does for 3 of us. I had 2 bucks inside 20 yards, but couldn't get shots at them. Almost got a second doe the last day there, but she needed to take another step or two out of the brush. It got CCCCOOOOOOOOLLLLLLDDDD the last few days.

markm
11-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Last time I pheasant hunted in North Central Ks my old Lab retrieved a rooster that hac not been shot.

chevynut
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
You mean he "caught" one, not "retrieved" it. :) Pretty cool. Did he have a license? LOL!

markm
11-14-2012, 05:32 PM
He did not need a license in that he was under 16.

smooth 56
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Smooth, how did your hunt go? We ended up with 4 deer, 2 bucks and 2 does for 3 of us. I had 2 bucks inside 20 yards, but couldn't get shots at them. Almost got a second doe the last day there, but she needed to take another step or two out of the brush. It got CCCCOOOOOOOOLLLLLLDDDD the last few days.

Hay chevynut just getting home.Congrat's on the deer you guy's dune better than we did lol. I shot one the first day there nuthing to brag about but meat in the freezer. The wife missed a big one Tuesday and finally connected Thursday and like you said freaking cold. Other than that sucked the rut is not in here yet but going back next week end thing's may have changed by then.

chevynut
11-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Smooth, the rut just started about mid-week for us, so we were there a week to early. I had a couple of nice bucks come by chasing does the last couple of days, but they got downwind of me, and it was blowing like crazy. I lasted 2 hours one morning with a wind chill of 11 degrees and I had to get out of my stand. The deer were still moving around, but it was so cold I couldn't even shoot.

My best buck came in on the LEFT side of my stand, and I'm left handed. He was at 20 yards and I tried to twist around to get a shot, and my elbow hit the tree at full draw...then I leaned forward and I was so contorted and off-balance that I decided not to shoot. A doe the buck was following was on my right where I could have easily shot her, and I thought the buck would follow. Unfortunately he took a slightly different path just behind some trees. It's amazing how much can go wrong when you're bowhunting.

smooth 56
11-17-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the rut has just started for us seen a good buck this morning for about 30 second's chasing a doe lol.Thing's kind of got cut short for the wife,where we hunt is in the cumberland mountains it's like goat country lol,but any way she rolled the 4 wheeler Thursday evening messed up her knee so that kind of messed up thing's.
Man I know what you mean about bow hunting thing's have to go all most perfict. We were it the archery business for around 10 years with a pro shop.We use to shoot all of the ASA and IBO when we could,The shop was called eagles wing's archery shure miss those day's.