PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan

Bandit1
11-16-2012, 05:38 AM
I just purchased a 55 hardtop that needs restoration and joined this forum to learn about the do's and dont's of a 55. Hopefully I learn some valuable info he that prevents me from doing it twice.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz126/Masterslacker565/1955%20Chevy/ABBE2434-D018-4FEC-9A23-1B9E972079DB-1978-000003CAC3838639_zps2f2ee208.jpg

NickP
11-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Nice find! Welcome aboard. Buckle up and enjoy!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
11-16-2012, 06:44 AM
hi bandit and welcome. good to have you here. congrats and have fun with it, looks like a good one.:)

chevynut
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the site Bandit. Looks like you found a nice project.

567chevys
11-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Very Nice Find Bandit !!!!!
Enjoy the site and keep us updated on progress , also there are members on here that help you with problems !!

Thanks Sid

Bandit1
11-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcome. The car is going to Reiter's Metal Craft next week to get started on the metal work--new floor and right rocker panel. The frame will come back to my shop for the suspension work, engine and trans mount, paint, brake lines ect. I plan to use a LS3 engine and trans.

chevynut
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Bandit, what are you planning for the suspension? Are you restoring the car or modifying it? If modified, have you considered a C4 Corvette suspension conversion? We offer frames, clips, and install kits for the conversions. It makes it drive like a modern car.

Bandit1
11-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Bandit, what are you planning for the suspension? Are you restoring the car or modifying it? If modified, have you considered a C4 Corvette suspension conversion? We offer frames, clips, and install kits for the conversions. It makes it drive like a modern car.

The C4 stuff is nice but I'm not considering going to that level. I'm going to restore the car mostly stock with a modern drivetrain. What do you recomend for a bolt in stock style front suspension?

chevynut
11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Bandit, there are a lot of bolt-on parts available on the market. You can increase the performance of the stock setup quite a bit, but you can spend a lot of money doing that too. The best things to do are to add dropped spindles, disc brakes, a better (power) steering box, and a swaybar. One problem is the stock a-arms only allow a small amount of caster, so the car tends to wander on the road. So you need to add aftermarket tublar upper a-arms to fix that.

Now add up the cost of all that bolt-on stuff and compare to the C4 setup.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php?255-Tri5-C4-Corvette-suspension-conversions-for-sale
http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php?1634-Get-a-ROLLING-Tri5-C4-conversion-chassis-for-only-7895!!

Bandit1
11-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Bandit, there are a lot of bolt-on parts available on the market. You can increase the performance of the stock setup quite a bit, but you can spend a lot of money doing that too. The best things to do are to add dropped spindles, disc brakes, a better (power) steering box, and a swaybar. One problem is the stock a-arms only allow a small amount of caster, so the car tends to wander on the road. So you need to add aftermarket tublar upper a-arms to fix that.

Now add up the cost of all that bolt-on stuff and compare to the C4 setup.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php?255-Tri5-C4-Corvette-suspension-conversions-for-sale
http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php?1634-Get-a-ROLLING-Tri5-C4-conversion-chassis-for-only-7895!!

Thanks. How much is a complete C4 front suspension--complete?

chevynut
11-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks. How much is a complete C4 front suspension--complete?

I don't want to turn your post into an ad, but you asked. :)

If you're talking about just the front suspension from a C4 corvette you can pick them up for $500-800 or so. The low end is if you're lucky :). Some guys buy whole cars and part them out. I sell front suspensions for $1000...they're expensive to ship so I try to buy a few at a time or get them locally if possibe. They come complete with the engine cradle (k-member) all aluminum components (a-arms and spindles), 2-piston disc brakes (12" or 13"), power rack and pinion (front steer 2.36 turns lock to lock), and a swaybar. It gives you 6 degrees of caster stock.

We build weld-on clips that lower the front suspension 3" (same as 2" dropped spindles plus 1" springs). We can do a 2" drop using a late C4 suspension at no extra cost, but using an early one adds cost as the frame rails must be modified. A "basic" clip is $2195 using your k-member or a "full" clip is $3295 using your k-member. Add $375 if I supply a k-member, or $1000 if I supply the full suspension (yes, only $625 for all the other suspension parts!). Note that all suspension parts are used.

The "basic" clip includes the basic structure....new frame rails from the firewall forward, new frame horns with six threaded bumper bushings welded on, a spreader bar, a tubular radiator support in the stock location and it has the k-member fully integrated and reinforced. The "full" clip adds upper shock mounts, swaybar mounts, brake line tabs, engine mounts (your choice of SBC, BBC, LS), and joint reinforcement plates and plug weld holes cut into the frame rails. The "basic" clip is a way to save money for a guy who wants to do his own fab work on the other parts, which don't require a frame jig.

We provide complete instructions for locating, reinforcing, and welding the clip on. If you can follow instructions and weld, it's a pretty straightforward process. Then you just bolt your C4 parts on.

We can also do either the "basic" or "full" front-only or front and rear conversions on your frame or one we supply.

The C4 suspension conversion makes a Tri5 drive like a modern car for a driver, and has been proven to provide great performance in autocross events. Newman's C4-equipped 57 4-door wagon out-performed a 2010 Camaro in testing by Super Chevy. I don't think you can get that kind of performance with bolt-on parts.

Sorry for the long-winded reply if this is more than you wanted to know. :) Feel free to send me e-mail at Lnobi53@yahoo.com if you have more questions or are intersted in discussing this further.