PDA

View Full Version : 57 Convertible...buy or build? Leaning toward build

sshrum
10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello.

I'm just starting out and have been wanting a Bel Air for quite some time. I've been going to the Pomona Car shows for about a year and have seen a lot of nice 55, 56, and 57s and I'm dead set on a 57 convertible. I'm seeing these in the price range of about $65-75K while their hard top equivs are going for the mid to high 50s. I know the market is softer on the 55's as these are abundant (about 3-1) when compared to the 57s that are at the shows and can be had for about $35k-45k.

Of the few 57 convertibles I've seen, they are not what I want and for that price I'm figuring that I would like to kit-build one as to get exactly what I want. I'm looking at the Tri-Five chassis with a LS9 engine and have only found one other person building like this:
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31014

Figured if I'm gunna build it, build it right. Money really isn't a problem but I'd like to keep the build under $100k.

While I'm mechanically minded and have a basic familiarity with the engine bay (older engines, the LS9 might take some reading), I figured I bounce the idea of building a 57 Bel Air convertible off some guys that have hands on with the car. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

I've found a company that sells the 57 convertible body here:
http://www.1957chevybody.com/body.html

I've seen that there are a number of ppl producing a tri-five chassis and would like to know which one most ppl prefer. I don't plan on racing the car (much) as it will be a weekend driver.

I'm also investigating every other aspect of this build (ie: suspension systems, braking, transmissions, etc). In all, I'm looking to build the best 57 I can.

Chime in on any part of the build. Right now I'm just doing the prelim part-n-pricing but would like as much input as I can get.

TIA

Sean

10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi Sean

Sounds like you can build one or buy one , remember if you build one yourself then it's yours and when you go places you wont hear thats Joes old car or that car uese to belong to Joe .
Also thanks for Joining the site

wakeme
02-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Well even if you buy one you can still make it yours. After seven years and a lot of time and money in to mine I would say buy one then make it in to what you want. You can save years buying a nice car them adding the things you want. I haven't done everything my self on my car but I still believe I built it. I have wasted tons of time buying from companies that sell you things that just don't work. From bumpers to glass. Could make a nice list of companies not to use. I like what I was able to do extra to the car with all that extra time waiting has given me but driving my car would have made me much happier. To me its like remodeling a house. It just depends on the house. I think the age of the owner seems to make a huge difference on what extent of a build your looking for. A car with an ls9 deserves modern chassis art Morrison frame perhaps. having that car built could cost north of $150,000. Buying it done at auction $120,000. good luck on whatever you go with

Mig31
02-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Good luck on your build.I also think that buying a "New" 57 chevy convertible will set you back well over $100K. You can buy the body, but that leaves you needing a frame, suspension, motor, interior, trim, and all the little expensive stuff to go with it. Last I saw none of the companies made all of the top bows and that leaves you looking for some hard to find parts. Morrison frames in Washington probably makes the best frame for your application.
I love my 57 chevy two door hardtop. I started with a non-running husk and spent some time making it what I wanted. I've heard that you can cut a two door and weld in the panels you need for a convertible. That might be another option.
Anyway ... good luck to you.

misuraco
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
http://realdealsteel.com/home.html

chevynut
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
That Ironworks chassis sure is nice, but I know Rodger is targeting the high end of the market and they are rather expensive. If cost isn't an issue, go for it. :)

The new 57 convertible bodies are nice too, but I wonder why they don't e-coat them or do something to better protect them. If I bought one, I'd want it coated inside the braces, quarters, and every other nook and cranny.

You can build a car from a kit, but it's not going to be cheap. I really don't see it as much different than building an original body into a pro-touring car from the frame up. The price of a new body probably isn't much different than an original body after bodywork is completed...maybe less.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
hi sean and welcome. good to have you here.