PDA

View Full Version : My 56

frogman21758
11-19-2012, 03:55 PM
New to this forum but not new to forums and have been working on my 56 for almost exactly 2 years now, so rather than post this in the "New Guy" threads, I'm putting this in the project section. This was my first frame off project car and can't say enough about the forums and the experienced individuals whose great knowlege base enabled me to build this 56. It's a Bel Air Sedan by Vin, however I built it my way, both inside and out. I've spent most of my time on "the other" Trifive site where in the early stages of my build guys like CHEVYNUT assisted with fitting the right size (biggest) tires in those stock wheel wells. Well, its a long way from the car I started with 2 years ago, vent windows removed, Camaro 10 bolt 8.5" rear with 3:73s, tubular control arms, coil overs, rack n pinion, Hotchkis sway bars front and rear, 355 SBC, 10:1 comp, Edelbrock Heads 2.02 inch intakes, 1.65 exhaust valves, 230 duration cam @ .050, .512 lift on 1.6 ratio roller rockers, Victor Junior intake, Holley 770 Ultra, Petronix ignition, B&M TH350 street strip trans, PRC custom radiator with dual electric fans, Billet specialties serpentine pulleys, Wilwood tandem master and disc brakes, Ididit column, dakota digital dash cluster, Ciadella custom interior and the list goes on.

Well I am a couple of weeks away from completing this project and couldn't have done it without the help of the guys on these forums. There is too long of a list to name them all, but all provided expert advise in everything from the engine building, to bodywork, paint, suspension, interiors and the new electrical.

My pay back to them is to help provide any of my experiences to anyone else embarking or knee deep in a Trivefive project where around every turn there seems to be a WTF..

More pics in my Profile

Thanks,
Jim

chevynut
11-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Nice intro Jim. I can't believe you did all that in only two years! It sure looks great!

frogman21758
11-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Nice intro Jim. I can't believe you did all that in only two years! It sure looks great!

Thanks Laszlo! It's a driver and no competition for the custom work you've put into that Nomad...You're in a whole nother class brother. I'm a garage builder lol!

Jim

567chevys
11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Very Nice intro Jim,
First I want to thank you for your service in the USN !!!!
Your car LOOKs great and if you did all that in 2 years , your alot faster than me !!!
Hope you enjoy the site, We still have a few problems here and there but we will get it all figure out !!!

Thanks Sid

smooth 56
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the site frogman.You'r 56 has turned out very nice,Love the color's what are they? I have a 55 that I'm working on and want to do a two tone with similar color's

frogman21758
11-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks! The color is Mercedes Pewter Metallic on top and Pewter Metallic on the bottom with the addition of 500 grams more black than the top. I had a difficult time finding a darker metallic color that had the same metallic hues as the Pewter on top. I finally decided to have my paint supplier add more black to the mix a little at a time until I was happy with the color. Turns out to be 500 grams more black per Qt. The hues match perfectly....in some light it's hard to tell it's two tone, looks more like a shadow from the stainless down...in other light it just pops. I'm pretty happy with it.

Jim

Rick_L
11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I like your car and the paint. I've been looking at the Mercedes pewter myself, a guy at work has one of those baby Mercedes sedans that color and I got the codes from his car. Adding the black to the two tone sounds perfect.

Lots of other nice features on your car too.

56-210Sedan
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Very Nice Jim, really like what you came up with in style and in 2 years WOW Good Job

frogman21758
11-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I like your car and the paint. I've been looking at the Mercedes pewter myself, a guy at work has one of those baby Mercedes sedans that color and I got the codes from his car. Adding the black to the two tone sounds perfect.

Lots of other nice features on your car too.

Rick, if you decide to go the pewter two tone route let me know, I have the paint mix if you want it. It was the only way to get a perfect match with the metallic hues.

Bakins
11-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Love the colors. Do you have a full side pic in good lighting?

frogman21758
11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Love the colors. Do you have a full side pic in good lighting?

Here are a few more shots in different lighting and various stages of the paint job...hope this helps.

Jim

frogman21758
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Here are a few more and you can see what I mean that in certain lighting and angles it's hard to tell its two tone.

Rick_L
11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
frogman, it's hard to see on the computer screen what you've done. But knowing the lighter color from a car I've seen and what you've posted makes me think you've got a great look going.

I'm interested, but my old brain keeps flip flopping about other potential paint combos for my 55 also. I just need to be ready for paint soon so I can choose and be done with it for better or worse.

frogman21758
11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
frogman, it's hard to see on the computer screen what you've done. But knowing the lighter color from a car I've seen and what you've posted makes me think you've got a great look going.

I'm interested, but my old brain keeps flip flopping about other potential paint combos for my 55 also. I just need to be ready for paint soon so I can choose and be done with it for better or worse.

Hahaha Rick, I know what you mean, I went back and forth so many times on the paint....was all black at one time, all pewter at one time, was close to using a cinamon red as the bottom color then black then flip flopped, then flip flopped again then finally I took the leap and bought the paint and mixed the bottom color. I'm not dissapointed in the least...I wanted a newer classy looking paint job but yet still was a hot rod.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for your double nickle...

chevynut
11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Jim, it looks like all that blocking paid off in a really straight body! I can't wait to get some color on mine. I'm so tired of looking at primer for so many years.

I'm still working on finishing my shop addition so I can paint and assemble the car in a clean place.

frogman21758
11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Jim, it looks like all that blocking paid off in a really straight body! I can't wait to get some color on mine. I'm so tired of looking at primer for so many years.

I'm still working on finishing my shop addition so I can paint and assemble the car in a clean place.

Laszlo, I blocked until I was ready to puke and it took months to get the body to look like it does....inexperience I suppose. Porch Dog might have done it in a weekend ..LOL.

I'm anxiously waiting to see your choice of color for that beautiful Nomad. You have so much work in that "work of art" choosing an appropriate color must seem nearly impossible....whatever it is I can'twait to see it.

Jim

Bakins
11-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks for posting more pics! I like the paint a lot! I wonder what using just the bottom color on a full car would like like?

Very nice car!

frogman21758
11-24-2012, 10:19 PM
More of the interior done this weekend. Finally finished with the front seat covering and started the install. If you can't tell its a 54 front bench seat but since I couldn't find the stainless for a 54 I ran the 56 stainless on the lower seat shells. Looks fine and I don't know how many will ever know the difference..LOL.

Getting closer to that maiden voyage. I still have to mount my horn although the wiring is already run and ready to hook up. Brake light switch should be in this week and that will finish off all the electrical. Then all thats left is to finish up the interior and upholster the trunk...

My little princess is all ready to go for that maiden voyage.....

Jim

chevynut
11-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Looks great Jim. I think you picked a nice interior color to go with the paint. What is that color called? Taupe? Carpet looks nice too.

frogman21758
11-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Looks great Jim. I think you picked a nice interior color to go with the paint. What is that color called? Taupe? Carpet looks nice too.

Thanks Laszlo! The color is called fawn, similar to taupe. Gina at Ciadellas must have sent me 100 different samples of everything between tan, taupe, and fawns. This particular one has the look, grain, and feel of leather but yet not leather. Too much $$ for the real thing besides the little one would surely ruin the leather first trip out..lol. Had a nice streachability to it so the wrinkles were easy to get out. Durable too, could hardly put an awl through it when mounting the seat shells.

No work on her today though...Christmas decorations going up for the little one's benefit...

Jim

reborn55
11-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Very nice looking car--great job on your own. Love the addition to the rear seat--love the smile--bet she is glad it is done