PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Utah,

quickkarl
11-25-2012, 08:16 AM
I hope some one can help me, I need to install rack and pinion stering in my 55 210 SB long water pump short headers. I purchased a chrome tilt steering column floor shift. can any one tell me who has the best kit for my car ? Its a classic driver not a show car I just want one that works best for the bucks.
Thanks

56-210Sedan
11-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi Karl and welcome to the site. I can not tell you much from experience myself but a few places to check are flaming river and jim meyers, there are a few others out there i just can not remember as i type, as for ease of installation they all claim the easy installation no fabricating, but from what i have heard and seen from others is they usually run into fabbing at some point, as for price they are all about in the same ballpark, another route to go is the C4 Corvette threre are 2 members on this board who are proven at doing these modifications Chevynut and NCW so take some time and look at there work it may make you change your mind in your approach. Best of Luck and welcome again

frogman21758
11-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I installed a manual rack and pinion made by Unisteer on my 56. I used an IDIDIT column and floor shift as well. The headers were Sandersons made specifically for the Unisteer R&P. Went in pretty easy...couple things...watch out for oil pan clearance, depending on the pan you are using you may need to modify or change your oil pan. I also installed Tubular control arms and had to change out the lower bolt to a rounded allen type to prevent rubbing on the rack boot. I had no problem with mating it to my 2" drop spindles. You do want to make sure the rack is centered in your frame so you have equal steering travel on both sides.

If you have the money a C4 conversion is the way to go..if not then installing a R&P is not a bad way to go. As Marty mentions, Flaming River makes a good rack as does Jim Myers. Depends on how much you have to spend. Good luck!

Jim

chevynut
11-25-2012, 11:29 AM
There are those who will tell you NOT to go with R&P, and go with one of the aftermarkt power steering boxes like CPP sells. I don't know what other problems that box causes, but I know the normal R&P can be troublesome to fit.

If a guy was going to do the whole enchilada, with discs, dropped spindles, new a-arms, swaybar, new steering system, etc. I sure would consider the C4 route. Take a look at some of my posts in the Classifieds for examples, and why go with the conversion. It brings your suspension and steering into the '90's at a reasonable cost, compared to all the aftermarket bolt-on stuff.