PDA

View Full Version : New Hobby Air II

Rick_L
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I bought a new Hobby Air II supplied air breathing system for painting and blasting a few weeks ago.

I tried it out for the first time this evening. I have had a Hobby Air I for years. The hose kind of disintegrated. So rather than just buy a hose, I decided to step up. My Hobby Air I had a half mask and 40' of hose. The pump won't support more length of hose. So I got the Hobby Air II. I got it with 80' of hose, and a full hood. I can say it's much nicer, and the extra hose is going to be a big plus.

If you're considering a Hobby Air, I can definitely recommend the slight extra expense of the HA II and the hood. My half mask can be used with the setup also.

chevynut
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Rick, I have the Hobby Air 1, i think, and I got it with an extra length of hose. I haven't had to use the additional hose yet, though. I really don't like using it that much...I have a hood that's hard to see through. The half-mask is a PITA with my glasses, and I can't seem to get it to keep from contorting my glasses so again i have a problem seeing. I have started using just a filtered mask and it's a lot more user-friendly.

Rick_L
11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
The hood I have is a Bullard hood that they offer, and visibility is excellent. The only problem I had tonight was the pressure tried to lift the hood a couple of times. Tightening the head band fixed that. The Bullard hood is different than the one that has a hood over the half mask. I think it's much better and it was recommennded by the supplier over the hood over half mask combo, autobodystore.com is where I got it. Their Hobby Air prices are as good as anywhere.

The HA 1 is not supposed to be used with over 40' of hose. One of the reasons I wanted the bigger unit was that with 40' of somewhat leaky hose, it seemed marginal. The other thing is I can set up to primer any spot on the car with 40', but to do the whole thing it will be much better to have 80'. But like I said the hose on the original unit just seemed to be disintegrating and that was certainly most of the lack of enough air. The old unit and hose was almost 15 years old, so it lasted ok. The old hose was corrugated; the hose on the new unit plain hose with a braided reinforcement. Probably less susceptible to damage from stepping on it. Don't know how round it will stay, it's fine now.

chevynut
11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Hmmm, my hose is smooth inside and outside. Maybe mine is the Hobby Air 2? Now that I think about it, I think I got some kind of upgraded model.

Rick_L
11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
If you don't like the hood you have, you may want to look into the Bullard. It's not expensive, and the convenience will be worth it. Unless you have some other factor.

My new hose is smooth, as I say with a braided reinforcement.

The replacement hose I bought for the old unit was corrugated but it wasn't exactly the same as the old hose. Which is probably good.

56-210Sedan
11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
i see there is a used one of these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Air-2-fresh-air-breathing-respirator-system-/300820559280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460a4d75b0&vxp=mtr

Rick_L
11-26-2012, 08:04 PM
That one is the full mask not the Bullard hood. The hood may be easier to use with glasses.

chevynut
11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
The half-mask is a PITA with my glasses, and I can't seem to get it to keep from contorting my glasses so again i have a problem seeing.

Correction.....I have the FULL mask, and it's hard to use it with my glasses. My glasses are progressive, so if they're off-center a bit I don't see right. Plus the frame is really thin titanium, so it flexes a lot.

Also, mine must be the HA2 since it looks exactly like the one Marty linked.

55chevdelray
11-26-2012, 09:33 PM
I have a hobby air. They are a great safety item when painting. I have the full hood which maintains a positive breathing atmosphere. You can purchase the tear away lens covers to protect the plastic lens from scratches.

Rick_L
11-27-2012, 05:46 AM
The Bullard hood is very compatible with glasses. Cnut, sounds like you have the full face mask that requires that silly "frame" for eyeglasses. Not only does it not work well, that one is the most expensive choice they offer too.

The other thing I like about the Bullard hood is that the air inlet is at the rear of the hood, keeps the hose behind you which is usually what you want.

chevynut
11-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Rick, I have one of those hoods from Hobby Air, it's made of Tyvek. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't turn when I turn my head, so I have to re-adjust it as I use it. I don't remember any strap inside of it, but maybe there is one. That would help.

I thought you were supposed to use a full mask to spray urethane paint because the isos can go into your eyes and cause health problems. Also, when sandblasting how do you keep the sand from trashing the lens? Do the lens convers work pretty well?

I've never seemed to have an issue with the 40' hose. My other section of hose is still coiled up like when I got it. I recall the instructions saying you could set it up for two people.

Rick_L
11-27-2012, 07:56 AM
If it's able to be set up for two people, you have a Hobby Air II.

The Bullard hood has a head strap in it, just like the one in a welding helmet or hard hat. As I said, mine tried to lift on me due to the pressure, it needs to be pretty tight. Another solution would be a large leak path for the air to escape.

The Tyvek thing might be a bit delicate for sandblasting, biggest thing is that it might not shed sand very well. I bought lens covers, they will work fine for painting. With my old unit, I used a half mask and a separate sandblasting hood. The hood has a hard hat inside, and a replaceable lens. The hood is made of cotton. Pretty simple setup, and has worked fine for me.

Yes, you need to protect your eyes and facial skin from exposure to the isocyanates. The Bullard hood will do that quite well.

On the hose, it's really a matter of where can you place the pump in clean air vs. how far that is from the spraying or blasting. For me, 40' works but awkwardly. I don't need another 40', but another 20' will offer me convenience.

warren57
10-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey Rick,
I ran across a used HA2 today, 80' hose, full mask. Was in near new condition and the guy wanted $150. Sounded like n OK deal to me so I went ahead and bought it.
It didn't have the manual with it.
Any chance you could copy the manual for me? I can't imagine it being more than a few pages.
Thanks
Warren

Rick_L
10-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Not sure where my manual is, may take a while to find it.

Really not much to it, but it may have part numbers for replacement pieces. Though I'm sure Hobby Air or a dealer could work you through that.

567chevys
10-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Hi Warren

email me the model # and make I will get it for you

Thanks Sid

chevynut
10-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Warren, I have the HA2, and I probably have the manual somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. I agree with Rick...not much to it.

warren57
10-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys, I found their website, it is listed under axispro.net They emailed a copy. You're right, not much in it!

Rick_L
10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Well at least you know now. I never found mine, they are here somewhere maybe.

Good luck with the HA2, it's a good piece.