PDA

View Full Version : Crissys55 needs our help

56-210Sedan
11-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey Crew!! i came across this post and wanted to bring it up to be better viewed. This is a quote from the original post,

" I am in the search process of finding my 55. That said, as a beginner, what would you say is a good starter set of tools for a beginner. I have seen some pretty good sets online at Sears. And have seen some nice boxes and rollers thru Harbor Freight. With Christmas around the corner, i may be able to finally pull the trigger on a good set. Also, any tips on a decent compressor? I would be doing some priming in the future as well as using cut-off tools, sanders etc... so what size would you recommend? Thanks in advance."

here is a link to the original post in another thread http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/1310-GARAGE-TIPS just did not want to see this get lost and wanted to help with a possible new member.

Rick_L
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Even with the negative spiral of Sears, I think that their big tool sets are good tools and good value, and many sets are going to be on sale this month. So with some shopping you should get what you need and can afford. I can't recommend a particular set, I would just suggest to get the biggest one you can afford.

Sears chests and roll arounds are not what what the once were, but with some sale shopping, some can be a good buy. Don't order one from the catalog without at least seeing the same style in the store. And surprisingly, some of the higher end Harbor Freight chests and roll arounds appear to be good quality and a good buy. But I've never had the guts to buy a box from HF. There's a nagging expectation that something will happen that would make me regret it.

Lowes and Home Depot are offering some good stuff now too. But they don't have the comprehensive tool sets and the good prices to my knowledge. You may catch a good buy on a chest or roll around there too, but I don't see too many opportunities there.

Finally, some will advise you to go with Snap On or Mac or Matco. That's fine but expensive for a beginner. Sometimes you can find that high end stuff used on craigslist etc. but it's probably still going to be expensive.

567chevys
11-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I agree with Rick,
I have lots of craftsmans tools , I also have Mac , snap on ,Mac and matco and a few Cornwell tools .
Mac , Snap on, Mac cornwell are High end but do have some special tools that sears dont carry . Harbor Freight has some fair tools for the weekend warrior ,
HF air tools are ok for weekend used but We have tried them @ FCV and they only last 1-2 weeks Max under heavy used.
I have tool Box from Lowes it's the big Stainless steel one that is good and I have very large Box from Home Depot which is Husky Brand and it's real good .

A good place to look for tools and boxes are at flea markets and craigslist
Take your time and you will end up with more tools than you can use !!!!

Sid

56-210Sedan
11-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Well darn i hope i have not lead you all astray here i was hoping to move this thread were it would get more recognized for Crissys55 but looks like no reply.

I would have to agree on watching out the brands you buy unless you have a large budget, but if you are getting started and have no tools the snap-on matco, mac etc... are going to cost you they are nice but you can can purchase more going the craftsman route, as for air tools well i disassembled my 56 using nothing but hand tools so that is achievable, but for you i would at least go with a 2 stage compressor. Air tools are something you can pickup at HF or you can go the route of snap on, down to the local stored such as home depot which sells husky and lowes also sells air tools.

Rick_L
11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't know about getting posts moved or any of that stuff. We did reply.

I thought the question was about basic hand tools and storage. I didn't considers air tools or a compressor and still wouldn't. That's for later for a beginner.