PDA

View Full Version : Firewall pad

reborn55
11-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Was going to use old original firewall pad, but after discovering my water leak, part of the old hard material broke apart in my hand. So I guess I will replace the pad. don't really need high dollar original--have been looking at some of the less expensive pieces out there. any suggestions on what is best--found a couple on Ebay for less than $100. Didn't look too bad. thanks

markm
11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I used the expensive molded one on 56, the cheaper one on 55 and sufferered much pain and aggravition. I will not save here again.

reborn55
11-28-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-Chevy-Firewall-Pad-NEW-1955-Chevrolet-/190666699897?hash=item2c649ef479&item=190666699897&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

like this

Rick_L
11-28-2012, 05:43 PM
If you have a modified car, and apparently you do if you are installing a/c, forget the stock replacement firewall pad or the abs molded one. Just use some Dynamat or Dynamat clone sound insulation, along with some thermal insulation. Then when you do the carpet, run it up further to where you can't see the edge. If you already have carpet, use some matching carpet to extend it upward. Easier than dealing with the stock firewall pad and those goofy fasteners. You can take it one step farther and weld all the fastener holes on the firewall shut.

reborn55
01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Thinking about cutting old carpet and using it for firewall pad. So I will have to order new carpeting---I want 2 piece that covers the entire floor. Carpeting I have, I bought from ACC in 94 and it does not cover the floor under the front seat. Trim Parts/Ecklers sells teh 2 piece loop in color I need and tehy say it covers the entire floor. Ciadella only offered me a one pice which I don't want. ACC is about a 100.00 higher. any other manufacturers out there that make carpeting worth a darn. Thanks

frogman21758
01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I used a product called Quadmat. It comes in 1 foot squares and installs like dynamat. It has black closed cell nitrile foam on the outer side, butyl and aluminum layers and is much better on the fire wall than the original pad and cardboard. Goes in super easy and looks great. Just make sure you install it far enough down the fire wall that the carpet will cover the bottom edge. Costs about 100 bucks. Its made by Quad Dynamics.