PDA

View Full Version : Blasting booth

stroker
12-02-2012, 09:27 AM
To wet to paint, and can hardly see the shop. What a storm!! So going to stay dry and play on the 'puter. Figured I'd show you a couple of things my son and I made to make life easier for us. Blasting the frame and body in the driveway was messy at best. So we decided to make a booth for the rest of the parts. I purchased some 1 1/4" pvc pipe and fittings and we made a knock-down two piece booth. We lined the pan with 9 mil black plastic and the body with 3 ml clear plastic held on with spring clamps.Now that we are enclosed I also fab'ed an air helmet that supplies air and keeps us cool. I've had this HF blaster for some years and have always had trouble with the media feed, having to shake the tank every two minutes. So we made a vibrator plate from odds and ends, and it works great now. The booth keeps the media loss next to nothing, and the clean-up is a snap. The last pic shows the both folded and put away until next use.

warren57
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Looks great! and fairly inexpensive. I'll have to think about something similar next spring.... how is visibility, and did you vent the tent?

567chevys
12-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Stroker , what a great Idea . Thanks for the information

Sid

stroker
12-05-2012, 07:13 AM
In daylight the visibility is good. Haven't used it at night yet but could hang a drop lamp I suppose. Hadn't vented the tent except for a gap in the front sheet. After using for a couple of hours had to blow the inside down to remove the static dust. Monday went to the local salvation army store and found a small box fan for $5, then off to HD for a furnace filter. Still raining so might take the time to fabricate a mount, etc. today. Will post the outcome