PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 4L80E Transmission from a 4x4 to a 4x2

Bluegrass Trifive
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Anyone ever done this conversion? Other than mechanical or electronic speedo what other options could be considered? Are there different length rear housings or are they all the same? Best place to pick up a housing?:confused:

Maddog
12-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Best to buy the correct one(2 wd) to start with

markm
12-05-2012, 06:03 AM
I assume they are like a th350 the unique part is the output shaft which is the first thing that goes in the case when you build one. Buy the correct part to start with.

chevynut
12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Unless you have access to a transmission shop with lots of spare parts laying around, I agree with the other guys. It's too much of a PITA to try to convert the tailshaft and housing. I'd go look for one from a 2WD.

I once bought a T56 transaxle out of a C5 Vette with the idea of converting it to a normal 6-speed. It's still sitting in my shop. :(

Bluegrass Trifive
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Unless you have access to a transmission shop with lots of spare parts laying around, I agree with the other guys. It's too much of a PITA to try to convert the tailshaft and housing. I'd go look for one from a 2WD.

I once bought a T56 transaxle out of a C5 Vette with the idea of converting it to a normal 6-speed. It's still sitting in my shop. :( I know what you mean,my garage is 1/2 full of not finished great ideas! I think since I plan to overhaul it anyway it won't be a big deal to change. From what I can tell its only the rear shaft and housing and depending on the year model there are some minor provisions for lubing the rear housing bushing. Luckily around here there are more people looking for the 4x4 version than the 4x2 and I have already had one shop offer to trade cores with me for free. Since mine is ok functionally I probably will just freshen it & change it over and keep it. Thanks for your reply.