PDA

View Full Version : A/C bracket

reborn55
12-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Installing A/C in my 55 and having problems with A/C bracket. I have the bracket included in the sure fit kit--alan grove I believe for the short water pump. It has been a pain the butt to install. I have had to elongate all three holes to make it fit. After about an hour of filing I finally got it to work.. The alternator bracket went on without a hitch. I have used these brackets before with only a slight modification at times. Has anyone else encountered this in the past or am I totally missing something--I followed directions, scratched the heck out of the newly painted brackets and almost scratched new endura shine intake

Thanks

56-210Sedan
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Bummer Ken, i have never used these brackets so i can not give you any insight, Sure sounds though as the place that make these needs to re-tune there skills.

chevynut
12-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Personally I would call the manufacturer of the backets and ask them. IMO we should not have to modify their stuff to make it fit, unless it's a custom deal. If they don't fit where they're supposed to fit, they should take them back at no cost to the customer. If we keep accepting crap, and making it fit ourselves, they'll never deal with the problem.

reborn55
12-15-2012, 04:50 AM
I have already contacted vintage Air and am waiting for reply---maybe this is the reason I have been putting off installing a/c for the last 7 years:rolleyes:

Maddog
12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
The very first Vintage Air Sure Fit kit I ordered years ago came with that ugly bare steel compressor bracket. I wouldn't use that thing and I never tried to put it on so I can't help there but why not go buy something that looks decent? After that I always order VA kits without brackets/condensor/hoses because I use better ones then what they supply.

reborn55
12-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I wanted something simple and not real flashy. Keeping engine compartment neat. I have polished Pro-line brackets on my streetrod and do not like it. I used this setup on my 47 ragtop and was well pleased. Just my opinion. thanks

56-210Sedan
12-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Looks good Ken, i like it :cool: I am one that does not like a bunch of bright/chrome every where, i like staying with a color theme and lately have taken to keeping most of my engine black with just a few shiny pieces.