PDA

View Full Version : radiator gremlins

reborn55
12-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Gremlins galore again on A/C install. I bought a Desert Cooler 4 core radiator about 8 years ago. Brand new--looked identical to my 55 radiator. Went to install to check fitment and lo and behold was very hard to get into support and then the fan would not fit. Not enough clearance between water pump pulley and radiator. Any one else encounter this problem with this particular radiator. Am running small block, short water pump and original mounts Original radiator fir perfectly-Never any overheating issues--did find a small leak at the bottom. guess I will have it cleaned and checked out. Been rodded out once about 17 years ago. Hope it will do its job with A/C installed. If not any recommendations--lots of companies out there. Maybe A/C was not in the cards for this car
Thanks

56-210Sedan
12-18-2012, 06:58 PM
is there anyway you can install the radiator in the six cylinder position? i am guessing it is setup for the v8 position.

reborn55
12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes it is original V-8 car. Thinking of taking original radiator up to radiator guy and getting it checked out.

markm
12-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Yes it is original V-8 car. Thinking of taking original radiator up to radiator guy and getting it checked out.

I cool a .060 over 69 model 350 with a stock 56 V8 radiator with a 70 Chevy PU fan and 2 piece shroud. I an using OEM stlye mounting and things are tight.

reborn55
12-19-2012, 08:54 AM
My original radiator has done real well--just thought I would go with 4 core--overthinking I guess--I do that a lot.:)

chevynut
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
What exactly does "4 core" mean? Is the radiator thicker than stock? It must be if it's causing clearance problems.

markm
12-19-2012, 05:09 PM
4 rows of cooling tubes instead of the stock 2, Yes they are thicker and that couses the problem.

reborn55
12-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Should have realized that--but I guess senioritis is stepping in. Years ago they started building these radiators. After doing a whole bunch of searching I have found they also make a 3 core which is probably a better fit. More cores better cooling---I guess. My original 55 radiator was doing fine with my warmed over 283, so I will probably get it cleaned and checked and put it back in and see what happens--anyone want to buy a too big V-8 radiator. Appreciate the responses.