PDA

View Full Version : traction bars

reborn55
12-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Have an old set of Lakewood traction bars on my 55 and am thinking of taking them off. I have had them on there since I built the car(19 years) and frankly don't know how the car feels with them not on the car. Is there any noticeable ride difference with these type bars.

markm
12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Traction bars stiffen up the rear suspension and contribute to a harsh ride. However they do reduce wheel hop and axle wrap.

chevynut
12-30-2012, 07:36 AM
It depends on the style of traction bar. If they are the ones that replace the spring clamp plate with a rubber snubber on front, they shouldn't affect the ride because your spring shouldn't be touching the bumper during normal use. They are designed to prevent the spring from wrapping (twisting) on acceleration. If you plan to do any burnouts, I would not remove them unless you replace them with some other device to prevent spring wrap and wheel-hop.

markm
12-30-2012, 08:43 AM
It depends on the style of traction bar. If they are the ones that replace the spring clamp plate with a rubber snubber on front, they shouldn't affect the ride because your spring shouldn't be touching the bumper during normal use. They are designed to prevent the spring from wrapping (twisting) on acceleration. If you plan to do any burnouts, I would not remove them unless you replace them with some other device to prevent spring wrap and wheel-hop.

I always try to have about 1/4 inch between the snubber and spring, on the aforementioned. I have seen varing results in effects on ride quality from car to car. My 74 Z28 ate a spicer u joint in 2500 miles, the old time racer who sold and installed the joint told me axle wrap. I doubted him because it never wheel hopped, however, I made a set of traction bars, welded ret. tube to shock plates.I have not changed the u-joints in over 30 years now.