PDA

View Full Version : My 56 Chevy Beauville Wagon

Toonman
01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I have owned and Built old trucks since 1981, in fact I still own a 56 Chevy Cameo I bought in 1982, and a 56 Chevy panel truck I bought in '87. I have also been an automotive cartoonist for over 20 years. Over the Years my rigs have been mostly trucks. I have had a '50 Ford F-1, a 58 Cameo, 55 Cameo, a 51 Chevy Sedan Delivery, and several Stepside trucks. One thing my wife and I always wanted was a Station Wagon.

My Mother in law married a man a few years back. The only thing I knew about him was that he owned a lot of cars. I heard rumors about the cars but never saw them. They were hidden away and he wouldn't let anyone see them. She was very familiar with my knowledge of vehicles. In July, She came over for a visit to tell us he was going to sell them. All Six cars for $3000. Naturally I asked what they were. She started with the ones she assumed were the most prominent. Three Mercedes Benz. Being from the early 80's, they meant nothing to me. Next was one she thought I might be interested in, a 56 Chevy 210 Beauville 9 passenger Station Wagon.

The last two were a couple of '65 Pontiacs. I asked her what the Pontiacs were. She said one was a Grand Prix and the other was a GTA. That caught my attention. I asked if she meant GTO, she corrected herself and confirmed it was a GTO. She then said there was something important about the top of the engine, it had three of something. My eyes got wide. I asked if that would be carburetors, as in Tri Power? She wasn't sure, but I was.

As an Automotive cartoonist, one of my biggest clients has been our local GTO club. I have designed many T shirts for their different cruise ins and shows. Through my contact there I learned a lot about the classic muscle car. My Mother in law asked me if $3000 was too little for the six cars, and I immediately said YES!! I went on line and showed her the prices some were selling for. She was shocked.

Two days later I got a call at work from my wife that the cars were selling!!! She quickly asked If I wanted the Wagon. I was surprised, and asked about the GTO. She said that it was gone as was the Grand Prix. After work that day, We drove 35 miles and took a look at the Wagon.

It was in really nice shape, but needed work. It had a rebuilt '60 283 with 3000 miles and the rebuild, a Muncie M-21 4 speed and a 3:55 Posi. I asked how much and she said $1000. My mouth dropped! After telling her I wanted it to add to my collection of 56's, I asked about the Pontiacs. The Grand Prix went for $1500 and the GTO went for $1000!!!!!! I asked why so cheap and she said he just wanted them gone. Although I never saw them, I did see a Camera phone pic, and my brother in law, who saw it that morning, said it was in the same shape as my wagon, which was drivable but needs restoration. When we returned to her house, I was asked to carry some boxes to the garage. When I walked in I saw 2 Tri Power manifolds and twelve 2 barrel carbs!! That was a first for me.

It ends up that he had built the Wagon to Drag Race, but never finished it. he just parked it where it sat for a couple decades. What wasn't on the car, was inside. Headers, Exhaust, and many other cool race goodies. The motor has been bored .60 over, has a 350 hp 327 Cam, 1.94 heads, Edelbrock performer manifold. Considering I paid $1000 for this car, I am pretty Happy!!!

I have no plans to race it, I just want to cruise.

In the end it took one day to sell the American steel and the Mercedes are still there.

Here are a few Pics including the CARtoon I did for my Business Cards.

chevynut
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Nice 56 wagon! I would have immediately snatched up that GTO too.

Toonman
01-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Ya, for sure!!! I was too late for the Goat!!!! Here are the tri Powers

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
01-08-2013, 05:52 AM
cool wagon and enjoyed the story too. :)

WagonCrazy
01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
What a score! Not even gonna tell you what I spent to get the 3rd row seat for my 57 9 passenger...but it was north of $1000 once I got it upholstered.
Do you have that 3rd row seat? That's a problem to find these days...

Nice find here. Especially those tri power setups. Just the air cleaners alone are worth something.

And yeah...I would have been all over the GTO deal too.

Thanks for sharing that.

Toonman
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Yes I have the 3rd seat. It wasn't in the car, but was delivered 2 weeks after I bought the car!!! I feel lucky to have it!!!

Run-em
02-21-2013, 05:15 AM
And another long roof joins the TriFiveChevy group. Nice to have you around. I swear, we must have a headlock on the wagons in the forum by now! You've done well!

Toonman
02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Thank You So Much!!! My 56 Chevy Panel truck also has a long roof!!!

Toonman
04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
I just installed headers. here is a video of it running with open Headers!!!

http://youtu.be/AHVob8je-QI

57larry
11-21-2013, 04:30 PM
what a deal!

sleeper55
11-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Wow, almost to good to be true. I am happy to see there are still deals out there that people can get. With companys like Barret Jackson and others they have almost ruined it for the comman man to own a Tri Five. It would have went to someone that was just going flip it at 8 times what he paid. Good score, happy for ya Toonman

chevynut
11-21-2013, 05:36 PM
4-door cars are still available for reasonable prices, and 2-door cars have even dropped in value a lot the past 5 years or more. There's still bargains out there, both in project cars and drivers if you look for them. High end cars are a different story. It takes a lot of money to build a high end car, often $150K or more. So if you want one, you have to pay what the owner wants to get out of it.

I don't see why people bitch about B-J and Mecham driving prices up. First of all, it's not them....it's the deep pocket buyers that bid on the cars. They're just providing a venue for buyers and sellers to do their thing.

I'm sure if the guys who bitch about B-J had more money than they knew what to do with, they'd be buying the cars up too. In fact, it's them who are keeping the industry and the interest in these cars alive. If it wasn't for the popularity and the demand for tri5's, we wouldn't be able to get the parts we can now get for our cars.

As far as "flipping" a car, I've done that. If I can find a car below market value, and sell it for market value, why is that wrong? If you don't like the prices, look elsewhere and find one under market value yourself. I can't believe the shit people bitch about.

People should be GLAD our cars are increasing in value, not complaining about it.