PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a stock 59-64 Impala/Biscayne?

chevynut
02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm trying to find the stock ride hight for a 62 Impala (59-64 are the same). Anyone here have one they could measure for me? I have searched online, but nothing comes up. I would like a measurement of the frame height from the ground, right at the front of the door before the kickup.

Thanks!

smooth 56
02-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Hay chevy did you get the measurement you needed we have a 62 impala but it does not set at stock height If I rember rite it is 2 in. lower I can measure it for you and add 2 in.if that help's.let me know.

chevynut
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Smooth, I think I got two critical measurements I needed from another drawing I bought, and some online searching. I read that at curb weight, the front of the rocker is 11 1/2" above the ground at stock suspension height using stock tires. Seems pretty damn high to me :p.

I could use some more measurements, though, since they weren't on the drawings I have.

1) How far does the frame drop below the bottom of the rockers, not counting the rocker pinch weld, measured about at the front of the doors.

2) How tall is the front of the frame measured from the bottom of the front frame horn to the top of the frame at the center of the radiator support holes?

3) How far is it from the bottom of the frame horns up to the center of the 2 front bumper bolt holes?

4) Where is the bumper brace bolted onto the frame? I have a picture here (see below) but can't figure out where the diagonal brace bolts to the frame. Is it the hole just to the right of the air bag? I could use some dimensions for the location of that brace hole.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

smooth 56
02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
The car is not at my house it is at my dad's I will get over there this week and take some pic's for you and do some measuring for you in the next day or so if that will help.

chevynut
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks Smooth, no huge hurry but in the next few days would be nice. If I think of any more measurements I may need before you go, I'll post them.

I wish the two sets of frame drawings I had were anywhere near as detailed as the tri5 frame drawings.

56-210Sedan
02-19-2013, 04:54 PM
dang i just sold the one i had (59 Impala) last spring when we moved, :(:(:( yes i wish i had it back, even with hearing the wife say " you have not built the one you are working on now" in reference to the 56, and i say show me the money honey LOL no results.

smooth 56
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks Smooth, no huge hurry but in the next few days would be nice. If I think of any more measurements I may need before you go, I'll post them.

I wish the two sets of frame drawings I had were anywhere near as detailed as the tri5 frame drawings.

Yea when we built this car we learned a lot lol.I'm off tomorrow will go and hope I get what you need.

chevynut
02-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Smooth, if there's any way you can locate the center of the lower balljoint or spindle/wheel from some other reference point such as the radiator support holes, bumper bolt holes, or cowl body mount holes I could use that. I have the dimensions for all those reference points. I need the fore-aft measurement and I know it won't be easy to get. I am trying to locate the centerline of the front axle from somewhere, and none of my drawings show either axle centerline. I know the wheelbase is 119" so if I can locate one, I can get the other.

I have found that sometimes making marks on the floor and then measuring between the marks is the easiest way to get a measurement. Using a plumb bob or level, mark one location on each side of the car (such as balljoint centers, then mark the second reference location on each side. After you draw a line between the marks on each side and move the car, you can measure between the lines to get the distance.

Thanks for your help.

NickP
02-20-2013, 07:53 AM
You need a FARO Arm! My next toy.

NickP
02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Smooth, I think I got two critical measurements I needed from another drawing I bought, and some online searching. I read that at curb weight, the front of the rocker is 11 1/2" above the ground at stock suspension height using stock tires. Seems pretty damn high to me :p.

I could use some more measurements, though, since they weren't on the drawings I have.

1) How far does the frame drop below the bottom of the rockers, not counting the rocker pinch weld, measured about at the front of the doors.

2) How tall is the front of the frame measured from the bottom of the front frame horn to the top of the frame at the center of the radiator support holes?

3) How far is it from the bottom of the frame horns up to the center of the 2 front bumper bolt holes?

4) Where is the bumper brace bolted onto the frame? I have a picture here (see below) but can't figure out where the diagonal brace bolts to the frame. Is it the hole just to the right of the air bag? I could use some dimensions for the location of that brace hole.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Have you looked into "Mitchell"? They tout having all of those dims but I wonder at what cost. "Mitchell.com"

smooth 56
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Damn chevy I just seen you'r last post I can get that but it will be a day or two sorry.I did get you some measurement's though I think I got what you want.
1)frame drop is 5.5 in.
2)bottom of frame horn to top at center of rad.3.750 in.
3)bottom of frame to center hole 1.5 in.
4) not sure what you mean this car only has a bracket that comes off the frame horn's to the bumper,the other brace is like a 56 it bolt's to the finder.
You said you found the ride height it sounded a little high but our's set's at 8 in.
I hope the two pic's help explain what I was looking at if this don't help I can alway's try again the car is not going anywhere.

chevynut
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks Smooth.

I only have a couple of questions.

On measurement 1, are you sure about that? If the frame was 5.5" below the rocker, you could see the entire frame from the side of the car. The entire frame is only 4.5" tall. The measurement I was looking for is how far the bottom of the frame hangs BELOW the bottom of the rockers. In other words, if you were to put a straightedge across the bottom of the frame, how far UP from that straightedge would the bottom of the rockers be?

So are you saying there is NO diagonal bumper brace like on a 56 Chevy? I'm talking about the brace that goes from the bumper corner back to the frame diagonally.

Thanks a bunch.

smooth 56
02-21-2013, 02:45 AM
I thought you were looking for something else you can only see about an 1.5 at the rocker sorry will get you a new measurement on that.As you could see in the pic there is no brace from the frame suprised me.