PDA

View Full Version : FS: Hydroboost mounting adapters

chevynut
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
I am now offering Tri5 Hydroboost brake booster adapters. Hydroboost braking systems operate off of your power steering pump, and provide much better braking than manual brakes or vacuum boosters.

These adapter plates allow you to bolt an Astro Van (or similar) Hydroboost unit to a Tri5 in the stock brake master cylinder location. Complete hydroboost brake kits are fairly expensive, and you can build your own system for much less than a kit. A key component to the installation is an adapter that allows you to bolt the hydroboost unit to the firewall. Some clearancing of the firewall hole to accommodate the large nut is required. All other fabrication work such as linkage, hoses, etc. is the responsibility of the purchaser. All I'm selling is the adapter for mounting the hydroboost unit.

I offer the adapter plate in two versions, both made of laser-cut 1/4" steel plate. They will fit any Tri5 Chevy car, and I understand there are other applications that use the same mounting pattern (58-64 Chevy?).

The "standard" version is a bolt-in using the existing studs on the brake support that protrude through the firewall. You can orient the hydroboost such that the accumulator is opposite the engine for added clearance or at 180 degrees on the engine side if that's preferred for some reason. The upgraded "hidden bolt" version is "reversed" such that the four 3/8-24 NF grade 8 studs are welded into the adapter plate, and makes for a cleaner installation. You will have to remove the bolts from the stock brake assembly to use this upgraded adapter, but in my opinion it's worth the minimal effort. The orientation for the upgraded version is with the accumulator opposite the engine, as shown in the attached picture, but I can build them opposite by special order.

The standard version is $29.95 and the "hidden bolt" version is $59.95 plus $5.75 shipping in the US lower 48.

Attached are some pictures of the adapter plates, and one installation using the hidden bolt version.

Email Lnobi53@yahoo.com if interested. I am also selling these on eBay.

CLASSIC EDGE Designs, LLC
Fort Collins, CO

56-210Sedan
02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I really like the hidden bolt adapter plate, nice work.

chevynut
02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks Marty. I'm trying to price the standard version competitively with some similar ones on the market for other vehicles. I know what it takes to make one by hand, because I made one myself.

There's a lot more work to the hidden bolt version than meets the eye too. It's important that the bolts are very securely attached to the plate, and then they have to be ground flat for a smooth finish.

hep1966
02-19-2013, 05:36 AM
I bought an Astro to get the engine for my truck. I was considering using the hydro system in my 56.

chevynut
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
The plain adapters are ready to ship now, and the hidden stud adapters should be ready early next week. Ebay sales will likely cost more due to eBay fees and I will also charge for $5-6 shipping.

chevynut
04-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Both adapters are now available.

JT56
09-26-2014, 08:50 AM
CN, what is the total length from the firewall to the flange where the mc is bolted too? My current setup works, but sticks out too far for the ProCharger! Since I have 4 wheel discs Im hesitant to use manual brakes. I have heard good and bad with ABS. I believe their customer service sucks???

chevynut
09-26-2014, 09:56 AM
6 3/8" including the adapter.

56-210Sedan
09-26-2014, 01:37 PM
CN, what is the total length from the firewall to the flange where the mc is bolted too? My current setup works, but sticks out too far for the ProCharger! Since I have 4 wheel discs Im hesitant to use manual brakes. I have heard good and bad with ABS. I believe their customer service sucks???

JT, i have not purchased form here http://www.hydratechbraking.com/Chevy_55-64_Fullsize.html but the service seems to be good, now with saying that i had a good conversation with the owner Jim and he took the time to discuss things with me and did not push his product on me.

JT56
09-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replys. Im thinking with 4 wheel discs (cobra brakes rear, GM metric in front) having manual might be asking too much? I know I need to upgrade the fronts at some point. Want to stay with 15" since I will be running a drag radial on it in the rear.

NickP
09-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Can you offset the booster/MC?

JT56
09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Can you offset the booster/MC?

I already have that on their. Blower isnt' here yet, but I did send my engine bay to ProCharger and they told me it wouldn't fit

chevynut
09-29-2014, 01:47 PM
JT, what is the maximum length you can live with from the firewall?

JT56
09-30-2014, 01:43 PM
JT, what is the maximum length you can live with from the firewall?

The current design drawings only show a front picture of this SC...I am asking for the design drawings showing how deep the SC is from its mounting surface. As soon as I get that I will know what I have to play with.

JT56
10-06-2014, 07:24 PM
CN about 14" from the firewall.

chevynut
10-06-2014, 07:36 PM
CN about 14" from the firewall.

If that's the case the Hydroboost should work if you select the right MC.

JT56
10-07-2014, 04:43 AM
If that's the case the Hydroboost should work if you select the right MC.

I'm hopeful this CPP-MCPV-1 I currently have will do.

rkwhite61
10-31-2014, 01:31 PM
All I can say is, wow!. Just received my Hydroboost hidden bolt mounting bracket from Chevynut. This thing is a top notch, high quality piece of work. Thanks so much!

chevynut
10-31-2014, 03:35 PM
You're welcome rkwhite, glad you are happy with them. I appreciate the feedback! ;)

Let me know if you have any questions. I have some pics of how I did the pushrod if you need them.

Indianadroptop
05-18-2015, 05:07 AM
What's the current price on the flush plate CN?

chevynut
05-18-2015, 07:36 AM
What's the current price on the flush plate CN?

$59.95 plus $5.75 shipping.

I edited the original post to correct the pricing. My new CNC laser part supplier has increased the cost.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
05-23-2015, 05:05 PM
I received my plate looks great!!!
Do you know what year Astro van boosters will fit? I'd liked to buy a complete used unit with MC & hoses.
Also it was already ask but does the standard MC like the CPP unit fit the Astro booster?
Thanks
Rocky

Rick_L
05-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Commonly used master cylinders will bolt up but you may need to modify the pushrod.

Gregs04.5
10-15-2015, 06:54 AM
A little off topic, but how do you rig the rod from the pedal, to the hydro boost? My hd unit currently has a swivel rod with a giant eyehole on the pedal end, does this pop out?

I bought one of your plates off ebay, nice work on that, fit is awesome. Now I need to figure out linkage after I get it powder coated.

Thanks in advance, Greg.

chevynut
10-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Greg, here's what I did. I don't remember exactly how I pulled the stock pushrod out but it's "crimped" in place with a ball on the end as I recall. I think I threaded the rod and used a nut, washer and a bushing and tightened the nut to pull the pushrod out...

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5082&stc=1

http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5083&stc=1

Gregs04.5
10-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks, that helps a lot, like the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words, and can save a ton of hours.
Thanks again, Greg.

10-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks Cnut!! I attempted to install the used booster I purchased for mockup which included the master. I was disappointed it fouled with the coils on the LS2. But after looking at the nice nomad video again I realized the booster can be mounted 180 degrees from how it was in the van it came from. So looks like it will work. Now if I can get the rod out as you discribed I should be in business. Looking back now guess I should have just looked at the first pics you posted in this thread that show the correct orientation for a trifive.
Rocky

10-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Success!!! After attempting to remove the rod from the booster with a big hammer I gave up did some research and found folks had made a make shift press devise as Cnut discribed but reading more info there are 2 types of boosters one has a removalable rod the other has to be sawed off and pulled thru the booster during rebuild. Anyhow a guy on the chevelle forumn just cut the flat off the existing rod and threaded it. So I did. It works perfect on a trifive bolted right in.
Thanks again for the bracket Laz!!!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_115.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_117.jpg

chevynut
10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Cool! I actually tried to do the same on mine but decided to just pull it out.

Rick_L
10-23-2015, 06:18 PM
I thought about pulling the ball out of the crimped socket, and tried meagerly to do that. When it didn't easily come out, I decided instead to thread the shaft using a common external thread die, after cutting the eye off. Worked out fine. So there are several ways to skin the cat.

It's been a few years, I was able to score a brand new never used Astro van hydroboost off Ebay for $60. Used to be quite a few on Ebay, but I haven't looked recently.

chevynut
03-10-2016, 02:19 PM
I have a new batch of Hydroboost adapters on the way since I ran out a while ago. I have a few orders backed up to fill, but my pricing will increase. After looking at all my costs, and with shipping cost going up significantly this year I need to raise the prices mostly for eBay sales.

I have also designed a "universal" hydroboost adapter that Il have for sale. It can be used on any 2-bolt application with 3.2" or 3.4" spacing, even Fords, Mopars, and Chevys (Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, etc.) They will be the least expensive of the 3 parts I now offer.

Ebay sales will be the most expensive, due to all the fees. It really opened my eyes when I looked at how little I was really making on these after all the eBay and Paypal fees, plus the increase in shipping cost. It now costs me $6.80 to ship one USPS Priority Mail. Any other method I've looked at to ship cost more. That's why I decided to address the pricing.

The universal adapter is $36.95 shipped, and the 55-57 economy adapter is $37.95 shipped in the lower 48 when ordered by e-mail from my website, or calling me and placing an order (phone number on my website). The smooth adapter is $69.95 shipped in the lower 48. Those prices haven't changed much from what I posted above, but the eBay prices will increase somewhat more due to all the fees.

chevynut
06-07-2016, 12:04 PM
bump...selling a bunch of these.

06-07-2016, 12:54 PM
They work great!!!!

chevynut
09-29-2017, 02:19 PM
I have had guys calling and asking about the Hydroboost adapters so I thought I'd bump this thread back up. They're all in stock. Descriptions and pricing are here:

http://www.classicedgedesigns.com/misc-products.html

To order, it's probably best to send a message through my website, or a PM here, or call me. I can't take credit cards but checks and Paypal work.