PDA

View Full Version : New members

567chevys
03-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi New ones ,

I would like everyone to stop and say high , Tell us a little on you and your cars , Also location would be nice so when buying parts or trading parts we all know how far apart we are . Don't need your home address just state and city would be nice.

Thanks Sid

chevynut
03-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Yeah guys, I'd like to know where people are too, in case you're right down the street from me. :) I also like to stop by and meet guys if I'm in the area on a trip. I was in Dallas last week and stopped and saw NCW again...haven't seen him in person in about 8 years or more since I was in Dallas last.

I got an e-mail last week from a guy asking about a C4 conversion...turns out he's only 30 minutes or so away from me so he dropped by to see the shop.

Timberforester
03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and new to car restoration. My dad bought his 57 Chevy Conv. in 1962 from a neighbor in KS. He drove this car up until 1986 (Dallas, TX) when he was going to complete a rebuild on the motor. The motor was taken apart and there it sat. I always liked this car and can remember riding in it as a kid. With the help of a friend in school who was restoring a 56 Chevy Sedan at the time. I started restoring this car (in Upstate NY). Did I say I never asked dad, I just started tearing it apart. By the time I went to college in the Fall of 95' I had all the exterior stripped and in primer. Well life moved on for me (finished college, first job, and two job transfers) but I still worked on gathering parts and saving money for the car restoration until I was able to buy a house with a big garage. In that time Dad made an agreement with me that if I was willing to restore it I could have the car, plus it must be done before mom and his 50th anniversery ( I have 5 yrs left) so they can drive it to the same place they went on their honeymoon (I have picts of them in the car at the lodge). I had moved through three states by then and in Sept. 2009, I purchased a garage, well it had a house but the 1500 sqft garage sealed the deal for me. After many talks with Dad and a friend, we decided on April 2010 (after the snow melted and most of the salt was gone from the roads, since it has been garage kept all these yrs.) to fly to NY and rent a uhaul and trailor to get it back to MO. We flew to Syracuse NY and my parents picked my buddy and I up and drove us 2 hrs north to their house. We had the uhaul the next day and began loading the car and the various parts scattered all over my parents house (basement, attic, my old room, closets, etc). It took us over 26 hours to get the car from upstate NY to Salem, MO. On May 1, 2010 I began tearing it down the following week. Since this is my first frame off restoration I am learning as I am moving along, plus doing all the work by myself (except parting out a few items) it has been a slow process. One gets creative doing it on your own, no wife, girlfriend, or family to help. New floors, rear quarters, and trunk pan were installed by a local shop. The frame is all done as of last spring with 4 wheel disks and power steering. Still have to put on the brake lines, exhaust, and fuel lines. I am currently trying to line up all the rear trim, bumpers, and taillights on the body before I move onto the doors, trunk lid and hood. I know its early but I just want to see if they will all fit and align up before I move on to the next pieces. But no go on that, so now I have to figure that problem out. Dad gets weekly or month picture updates from me and mom has started scanning pictures and sending them to me for a photo album. I will say I am hooked and looking forward to my next project when I get this one done, but I think I need a bigger garage.