PDA

View Full Version : Fuel inlet grommet install

Seamist56
04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Hope someone can help with this... Trying to install a new fuel inlet grommet in my 56 pickup (stock position on cab). I can get the grommet into, and apparently seated in the cab hole- OR- can get it around the fuel inlet tube by itself. Just can't seem to get it installed in the cab AND pass the tube through it. Have tried soaking the grommet in hot water first, lubing it with grease, etc., but all attempts leave me about 1/32" to 1/16" too tight around the inlet tube. Any tips or tricks would sure be appreciated!

Run-em
04-15-2013, 03:36 AM
On a Nomad, you have to put the seal on the tube & insert it with the seal into the position. Might be same on pick-em-ups. Ain't easy & good luck.

chevynut
04-15-2013, 08:21 AM
When the grommet is installed in the cab hole, is it the correct size for the tube? Have you tried the rope trick like you do on a windshield seal?

Seamist56
04-16-2013, 03:31 PM
On a Nomad, you have to put the seal on the tube & insert it with the seal into the position. Might be same on pick-em-ups. Ain't easy & good luck.
Seems a bit of abstract thinking, but indeed, I may be putting the chicken before the egg or vice versa. Doing it by placing on the tube first will require working the grommet from the inside as the tube/ vent assembly won't pass through hole in cab. Since the outer portion of the grommet is much larger than the inside, it will be a fight to get it folded up and worked through- but may just work! Thanks for getting me thinking differently.

Seamist56
04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
When the grommet is installed in the cab hole, is it the correct size for the tube? Have you tried the rope trick like you do on a windshield seal? Thanks for the reply. Yep, when the grommet is installed into the cab hole fist- it is definitely too small for the tube- Aint no way! Please see my response to Run-em, I think you guys are onto something. This weekend, I'll try to install on tube first and through hole from the inside- using the rope trick behind the outer part of the seal. Outer portion is very large ( to make that sucker seal to body), but is more pliable than the inside.

Seamist56
05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Just a note for anyone reading with the same issue... The job is done! Took a hard look at my old grommet (hard, cracked and crusty as it was) and found that it's inside (tube hole) diameter was .093 larger than my aftermarket grommet. I installed it into the cab first, then "whittled" about 1/16" bevel from the inside inner diameter. With a little white grease and a few choice words- I was able to shove it home! Sill plenty, plenty tight so no worries of water getting in.