PDA

View Full Version : BATTERY? WHICH ONE (TWO FOR THIS PROJECT)

NickP
04-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Which one brand seems to be the best, Optima, Interstate, Wal-Mart - seriously, who makes the best and why?

BAM55
04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
NCW have you checked out the Odyssey battery series. I use them and I really like them alot. Here is some info for you to check them out.

http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/odysseybattery.htm

Here is their webpage
http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

Oh yeah the reason why I bought it in the first place is because its smaller but packs a big punch.

Troy
04-17-2013, 12:48 PM
I have always had excellent service from Sears Diehards and I can't remember ever buying another brand.

Rick_L
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
All the batteries out there are only made by a couple of manufacturers. There's usually no difference if the specs match.

Optima and Odyssey batteries are attractive for trunk mounts and other special applications because they don't have to be vented to the atmosphere.

One thing that kills hobby and high performance deals is improper charging and unintentional discharge. Suitbable charging equipment will help a lot.

There are no "silver bullets" in the battery deal.

55mike
04-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I like Optima's. Especially as Rick L pointed out, in a non-vented area like the trunk. My current Optima is 9 years old and still going. Being in the trunk, it doesn't get hot (like under the hood) and is exposed to very little vibration. I found the best price at a battery store here in Pensacola (not sure where else they might be) called "Battery Source".. $169 bucks. When my old 9 year old Optima kicks the bucket, I'll buy another one for sure.

NickP
04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I like Optima's. Especially as Rick L pointed out, in a non-vented area like the trunk. My current Optima is 9 years old and still going. Being in the trunk, it doesn't get hot (like under the hood) and is exposed to very little vibration. I found the best price at a battery store here in Pensacola (not sure where else they might be) called "Battery Source".. $169 bucks. When my old 9 year old Optima kicks the bucket, I'll buy another one for sure.

Red or yello Mike?

chevynut
04-18-2013, 05:20 AM
A yellow Optima is a deep-cycle battery and is recommended for cars that sit a lot unused. That's what I bought for my Nomad.

NickP
04-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks Laszlo. How old is your battery? Still good?

chevynut
04-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I bought the dang thing when I thought I was going to be done with the car "soon".:rolleyes: I think that's been 4-5 years or so. I've had it on a battery tender most of the time, and it still holds a charge well. I've used it to run my seats, but not much else. Don't know how it cranks, but I'm assuming it's good.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
04-18-2013, 04:04 PM
have an interstate in my 56 for over 4 yrs. located in the eng area and it's not driven alot (shame on me) either. cost aot less then an optima too.

55mike
04-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Red or yello Mike?

Standard red top..

Rick_L
04-18-2013, 06:17 PM
I've always been a bit confused about whether a yellow Optima or a red Optima would be better for a car that's not used daily and may be stored for months with no or limited use.

I tend toward the red top myself for anything with a charging system. Not to say that's right.

Tabasco
04-19-2013, 06:04 AM
I have always had excellent service from Sears Diehards and I can't remember ever buying another brand.

I agree completely. I don't know anything about Optimas, but for a conventional battery, I never had a problem with a Die Hard.

In 2002 I was unemployed. A guy wanted to buy my '57 wagon. The battery was bad. He said to get a battery and he would come back and drive it. If it ran OK he would buy it. So I went to a battery recycler and bought a used Die Hard for $20. The guy never came back to drive the wagon, so I kept the car. The used Die Hard lasted 9 years.

I often let my Die Hards sit for months with no battery tender. They always start my cars.

chevynut
04-19-2013, 07:42 AM
The YELLOWTOP® high-performance AGM battery has everything you need. It’s one of the true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and impressive cycling capability, it’s perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YELLOWTOP can repeatedly be brought back from deep power drains to full charge, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Low internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.

Trucks with winches, vehicles with high-demand electronics and audio systems, commercial vehicles and heavy equipment can all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep-cycle power.

The REDTOP® high-performance AGM battery is the ultimate starting battery designed to deliver a powerful burst of ignition power for a reliable start-up every time. The REDTOP will outperform and outlast traditional batteries in demanding cranking/starting applications. With impressive high-power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure, the REDTOP is ideal for trucks, SUVs, hot rods, street cars and other applications that require a spillproof starting battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/

NickP
04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
So, now that I am totaly confuded................................which one for my application, red or yellow?

Rick_L
04-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Too bad they don't have an orange one. :p

chevynut
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
You got the facts, so choose your own. ;) The red top works fine for a car battery, as long as you keep it charged. Like any car battery, it doesn't like to be discharged very many tims. The yellow top will survive more discharge cycles, while still providing high cranking current......that's why I got that one. The yellow top is more expensive, as I recall.

chevynut
04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Is it going to show or be hidden? If it shows, one factor might be which would look "prettier" in the car. :)

I think the more expensive yellow top battery is a better choice, but it depends on how the car is used. imo. For a daily driver, it may not be worth the extra cost.

NickP
04-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Duals up front fo this project. Will bw using two of these "http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-3478-Optima-Battery-Box-Revision-II_p_1624.html"boxes, powder coated to compliment.

Hawaiian
04-20-2013, 06:56 AM
I have a red top on my 37 F... for 15 years and it's on a tender all the time when am not using the car. Jmo.............
Aloha

55mike
04-20-2013, 07:38 AM
I think either yellow or red will work OK, but, being the cheap-skate I am... I went for RED!

NickP
04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Not a "cheap-skate" - it's called being thrifty....................................

mrwrenchman
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Be careful using the yellow tops , deep cycle batteries have to be charged at a lower rate than standard red top batteries . I worked at a rod shop an we used yellow top batteries , not knowing people would put them on a fast charge an destroy them . We stop using the yellow tops and went to the red tops and had no more problems. Don

Troy
04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Be careful using the yellow tops , deep cycle batteries have to be charged at a lower rate than standard red top batteries . I worked at a rod shop an we used yellow top batteries , not knowing people would put them on a fast charge an destroy them . We stop using the yellow tops and went to the red tops and had no more problems. Don

Since I have four deep cycle batteries, two in my RV and two in my boat, I bought a charger with a deep cycle charger option. Worth the money to save your batteries.

chevynut
05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/video-difference-between-optima-blue-red-and-yellow-top-batteries/

567chevys
05-03-2013, 07:17 PM
I only used the yelllow tops , little more $$ but had very good luck with them

Sid

55mike
05-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Main thing I like about the Optima is no fumes.. no mess. I can run it in the trunk without worry.

NickP
05-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Main thing I like about the Optima is no fumes.. no mess. I can run it in the trunk without worry.

That's my attraction too Mike.